Ch. 20

"Good evening, everybody!" Principal Boswell said loudly onstage. "It's time to announce your homecoming royalty! We've tallied up all the votes, and the results are in. Your homecoming couple is..."

Boswell opened an envelope, looking at the crowd in happiness.

"Nick Nove and Jake Arnette!"

The party attendees erupted in cheers as Jake and Nick walked on the stage. Boswell placed a crown on each of the boys' heads, both of them smiling happily. The two walked down and rejoined their friends.

"I'm so happy for you two," Erica said.

"Nice job, bro," Troy added.

"All hail the kings!" Ricky teased.

"Your royal status is nothing compared to us!" Andre added, laighing with Ricky.

"Nice win, guys," Sophie commented.

Jake looked at Trina, who returned to him a genuine smile.

"Congrats, Jake, Nick," she commented. "You deserve those crowns."

Jake smiled happily, planting a kiss on Nick, who returned the affection with a kiss of his own. They and their friends continued to dance.

As the dance concluded, the group were sitting in the Twilight Cafe, eating dinner together.

"So, I heard from Principal Boswell that because we all were part of the homecoming court, we're in charge of this year's prom," Erica explained.

"Really?" Jake asked.

"Yeah, it's like that every year," Sophie answered. "But just because you're homecoming kings, it doesn't mean that you or Nick are gonna run the prom committee."

"Boswell wants us to pick the leader, but we don't have to pick until the spring," Andre added.

"Right now, I'm wondering what we gonna do next quarter," Ricky asked.

"I'll be captain of the basketball team," Troy said.

"I gotta lead my girls to cheer championship," Trina added.

"I'm gonna do Battle of the Bands," Sophie added.

"Don't forget about the winter formal," Erica added.

"Wow. That's... a lot," Jake responded.

"Don't worry, Jake," Nick replied. "Next quarter is gonna be fun!"

"We gotta get a group picture."

Jake and his friends gathered close together as Jake held his phone out in the air; the phone was in selfie mode.

"Everybody, say 'cheese'!" Jake said.

"CHEESE!"