.3.

Later that night, once the sun had completely set, only to be replaced with the bioluminscent lights of the foreign plants in the forest, Jake was wrapping a stick in leaves before spreading it in a honey type substance.

"Jake, I don't know if we should be creating such a bright light." I murmured, fearful of attracting more predators. "Zen, they're already here." He argued, beginning to flick a match onto the pack, trying to get a flicker of fire. Both of our ears were turning, listening to the prowling creatures of the night as they circled around us.

Finally, Jake got the match going, quickly lighting his makeshift torch as the light covered the area, showing what was stalking us. Very similar to the Thanator in shape, but instead these Viperwolves were much smaller, also acting like a pack of dogs.

"Let's go." Jake ordered as he grabbed my wrist tightly, making me wince, as he dragged me through the foliage once again. The Viperwolves easily followed, climbing up in the trees and sneaking through the brush. A few moments later, we made it to a small clearing where they quickly trapped us. Jake used the torch to keep them off of us, but they were getting bolder.

"I don't have all goddamn night." Jake sneered at them as he kept turning around, keeping the flaming stick close to keep them at bay. Finally, one took a chance and leaped at Jake, only for him to push it back with the stick. Another one followed, but my brother stabbed this one with the non-flaming end.

Dropping it, Jake took out his knife, fighting off most of them. I was standing off to the side, not sure what I could do to help, since I had no weapons, when one jumped onto me. "Jake!" I cried as I held its head away from mine, its jaws snapping as saliva dribbled down in its hunt-crazed trance.

"Zen, no!" Jake yelled back as he tried to make his way over to me, but by then it'd be too late. Suddenly, an arrow came whizzing past as the Viperwolf fell off of me in pain. I quickly scrambled up, feeling sad for it. Yes, it tried to kill me, but all it wanted was to eat.

Looking up to where the arrow came from, I gasped as I saw the Na'vi girl from earlier shoot another one before beating another back with her bow. She clearly didn't want to kill them, only doing so when they got too close or kept coming. Eventually, they had enough and ran off, the female hissing at them as she made sure they really left.

Turning around, she scowled as the bright light from the torch bothered her. "Idiots, these sky people are. Making fire!" She mumbled to herself in Na'vi as she picked it up and threw it into a nearby pond of water.

"Hey, wait, don't!" Jake said too late. As Jake was whining, I saw the girl go back over to the Viperwolf she shot earlier, hearing its pained whimpers as I watched on sadly. Walking over with her, I knelt down on the other side as I gently pet the distressed animal.

The girl gazed at me for a moment before pulling out a knife and muttering a phrase in Na'vi I couldn't quite catch. She then shoved it into the creature's heart, saving it from its misery.

"Why... are you sad?" She asked me in English. I was shocked she knew it for a moment before answering. "I feel bad. I do not like killing innocent beings. I'm meant to save them since I am a healer-in-training. Even if it wanted to kill me, all it wanted was to eat." I said. This time it was her turn to be surprised since I knew her language.

She tilted her head, a curious look on her face. "Where did you learn to speak my tongue?" She questioned. "I have always been interested in your people, and I took it upon my self to learn how to speak Na'vi." I replied, giving her a soft smile. She stared at me, her tail swishing and her ears flickering as if she was trying to decide on something.