7. The Plan

PART ONE
THREE DAYS LATER

"Hey, Kel, you busy?" I ask and approach Kelly, Brenda, and Donna as lunch starts. The three of them look up in my direction and she shakes her head, "No, of course not, sit?"

I nod and take a seat at their lunch table.

"What's Up?"

I pauses as I take a sip from my water, then set the purple water bottle down, "How was testifying against Caleb?"

She shrugs and takes a fork of her salad to her mouth, "He's coming on to the case harder than any of us thought. He's saying I'm lying, and it doesn't help that he's rich and white and male."

Brenda nods and stands up, "That's complete bullshit, and are y you richer than he is?"

"Nope, his father works for google and his mother is an actress."

I sigh and shake my head, "Let's talk about something else. Are you guys going to Joel Ritter's Halloween party?"

Kelly nods and Brenda shrugs, "Maybe. I don't know, he's kinda more of a pot head."

Kelly nods and we all get up, then throw away our lunch trays. As we walk off the quad and back to our lockers, Donna stops everyone, "Why don't we throw a party. Make it better than Joel's. Besides, Kelly and I haven't thrown a part in forever?"

Brenda steps forward and sets her books down on the ledge of the half-wall. I step forward, joining Brenda.

"Why not? We still have a few days, I have a free block and I can print out flyers and send out invites. I'll just need an address and a time." Brenda replies and everyone stops for a moment.

"We can have it at Kelly's, her Mom and David's dad are going out of town for the weekend." Donna replies and and opens her locker.  She grabs out her binder and Geometry book, then steps away.

Kelly nods, "Josephine, you have next block with Hero and Brandon right?"

I nod and brush a strand of my blonde hair behind my ear. My hair wasn't as platinum blonde as Kelly's, but wasn't as strawberry blonde as Donna's. It was more of a dirty blonde.

"Yeah, and Andrea. I haven't saw her since our lunch meeting about Caleb." I reply and they nod.

"She flies under the radar. Not as social as the rest of us." Kelly replies and the bell rings, signaling for us to split up and go out separate ways to our classes.

After class, the word had already made it's way around West Beverly. Flyers had been hung and post had been put out on every social media site that comes to mind. Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, even Facebook.

I meet up with Donna and Kelly, Hero and Brandon following close behind me, "Well ladies, when do you want to start planning?"

"Let's meet up tonight, all of us at Casa Walsh?" Kelly suggests and Brandon shrugs, "Why not?"

We all nod and go our separate ways as the bell rings. I follow Brandon back to his car and Brenda is already in the passenger seat, "What took you two so long?"

"We were talking to Kelly about the party," Brandon replies and climbs into the car. I set my bag on the floor, then buckle my seat belt. The wind whips through our hair as Brandon flies down the highway and heads in the direction of the house. I'm take out my blue scrunchy and pull it onto my wrist. My blonde hair flies behind me like waves in the hot California sun. It's nearly as hot here as it is back home.

As we have for the past month, the car whips into the driveway, but today both Jim and Cindy's cars were missing. Brandon parks where he normally does and the three of us get out and head toward the large house. The exterior is faded white, but has a soft orange glow from the sun.