Chapter One

"I'm gonna burn this all down. I'm gonna burn this whole fucking thing down!" The wind carries my voice across the courtyard and over the hills of Idzora. Sitting on the roof of the highest tower of the royal palace is thrilling. The wind whipping through your hair, the clear sky above you. It's a magnificent sight, and even better during the morning sunrise. Typically, I come up here to clear my head. I don't have many duties yet, but the tiresome classes on posture, etiquette and especially foreign affairs ring through my head clouding my better judgement. It almost makes me want to jump off the roof of the highest tower of the royal palace. Almost. So instead, I come up to the tower, in all its seclusion, and sit and watch the birds and the sky pass by, and if need be, shout profanities into the wind. Screw whoever hears them, it's not true, and it makes me feel better.

The window to the tower opens and Esmarelda's head appears. "Your highness, your mother and father wish to speak with you immediately. Hurry now, you must change before you see them." Her voice drops to a low whisper when she speaks of my attire. I, Princess Cirilla Morgana Ashford, am a polite, beautiful, elegant young woman of 17 and blah blah blah. The biggest part about living as royalty is what kind of facade you can put on for the public. No family is ever perfect, not even the royal kind. Everyone has their own personality behind what we show in the public eye, so naturally I, we, look more put together when the public sees us instead of when we are home. In the comfort of my own palace, I prefer to laugh loudly, speak out of turn, respond with sarcasm and attitude, and most importantly, dress with my own style. If I am not parading around Idzora then I am sitting up here on the palace usually in pants, a sweatshirt and socks. It is just more comfortable that the dresses and corsets Esmarelda squeezes me into.

Naturally, my parents know of my behavior, and they tend to ignore it. Not because they are terrible parents who care only of their kingdom and not their daughter, but because it is naturally how I am, I was a rowdy child who had a lot of fun, and my parents admired that. I always had a fighting spirit that never gave up, especially at nap time. Besides, I would never be seen in public dressing how I do, or speaking the way I speak, it is not courteous to the people. As the oldest daughter of the Ashfords I am going to become Queen when I come of age. I must protect my kingdom and show them that I am destined to be a great ruler, so I follow the rules when they are watching, but I am a different girl around my family. It is for the best interests of everybody, I can have my fun on my own time. I must put the people first before myself.

Esmarelda quickly pins up my hair and tightens the corset. Overtop is a more casual, yet elegant floor length cream gown. Although my parents look the other way when I am myself in the palace, they do prefer that I dress like a princess when I am in their presence. I do not mind for it makes being authoritative and confident much easier; look good, feel good.

Making my way through the labyrinth like halls of the palace my father's study door comes into view. A beautiful carved wood door that has been in our family's possession for generations still stands tall in the palace. Each ruler has a small mark that they carve themselves representing the time they ruled. Mother and Father have already carved theirs, soon it will be my turn. Walking towards the beautiful brass handles I push the heavy door open and stand before my father at his desk and my mother standing behind him. Queen Arela and King Cahal are the definition of power. They are loved and respected by their people.

"Mother, Father, you wished to speak to me?" I look to my mother who averts her eyes and looks toward my father.

"Lara, you are coming of age soon. As it is customary in our family the eldest son or daughter will take the throne when the current King and Queen deem it necessary. I believe we have a few more years until we reach that point. However, it is tradition that the King or Queen that is destined to take the throne must be betrothed or already married before they come into power. As I said before, I believe your mother and I will step down in the next few years but finding a suitor will take time. We believe that you should start looking now. There are two princes in nearby kingdoms we have deemed to be suitable choices for you, and there is a very wealthy family who also has a son that could bring strong power to the family. They are to come live with us at the palace and you will make them feel welcome. If neither of the three young men are suitable for your hand, we will find others. Do you have any questions?" My fathers strong tone reveals to me that I have no option in this matter.

For the good of the people I will endure this, whether I want to or not. Marrying other wealthy or royal families is what my family has done for generations. It promotes good values to the people and creates peace between other kingdoms. It is necessary and should I refuse I would be a disgrace to my parents.

"Yes," a strong undertone to my voice, power reveals itself in more ways than one. "When will this be occurring? How long before the gentlemen arrive?" I catch my mother's gaze, she looks sympathetic.

"They will arrive next week. They have all agreed to arrive at eleven on Wednesday morning. That night we will hold a welcoming ball in their honor. You are to attend and be a gracious host to your guests by staying the whole night, you cannot retire early this time." I nod my head slowly, absorbing the news that my father has quickly relayed to me. "Wonderful, you are dismissed," he gives me a warm smile, he may be performing his duties as king, but he is still my father.

I turn to leave and my mother places her hand gently on my shoulder. I turn to look at her, realizing just how much being a ruler has taken its toll on her. She looks tired and more brittle, yet the fire behind her eyes tells the world that her and my father are still powerful. She is the most elegant and beautiful woman I have ever met. "Darling, I know that this news is quite abrupt and shocking, but you will get through it. Your father and I did at your age, and look at how happy we are." She smiles at me; she speaks the truth.

I reach around to hug her. My voice comes out as a whisper, "I know momma. It's for the good of the people, they need this just like we do." She pulls away from the hug and looks at me.

"For the good of the people" she smiles one last time. "So beautiful. You will make a wonderful queen, everyone will look up to you. Now go get some rest." I nod and walk back down the hallways I came from. Not even bothering to change I make my way back to the tower. Sleep is the farthest thing from my mind right now, so instead I need to clear it.

In the distance behind me I hear the door to my father's study close with a radiating bang, sealing my parents into privacy, and my fate.