Chapter Six: Flying Away

Thump.

    A loud thump emitted from the couch as Hailey jumped on it.

   "Tomorrow" thump "you're going" thump "to Germany!" Hailey squealed.

   Thump.

   "I know, Hailey," I said calmly. I tried to refocus on packing my clothes. Hmm...shorts or long jeans?

   "With Conner!"

   Thump.

   Would it be cold in Germany?

   "And I won't have to see you for three whole days!"

    Thump.

   Maybe I should pack two pairs of each, just in case.

   "Maybe Mom And Dad will even let me have your room!"

   Thump.

    Now for books. Which murder - mystery novels should I bring for my flight?

   "Oh my god, I'm so excited!"

   Thump.

   And wristbands?

   "Eeeeeeeeek!"

   Thump, thump.

    I took a seat on the couch and chuckled. "Relax, Hailey. You're more excited about the trip than I am. Although I am excited about visiting the historical artifacts," I added matter - of - factly. "Berlin has such a rich, expansive history —"

    Hailey plopped onto the couch with a sigh. "There Professor Bree goes again. Seriously, Bree, can't you simply enjoy yourself for three days?"

   "I'll enjoy getting away from you," I said.

   Hailey scowled. "Not for long, missy! You're texting me everything that's going on with Conner in Germany." She leaned closer. "And I want all the dirty details."

   I rolled my eyes.

   "Girls!" Mom's voice resonated down the stairs. "It's ten o'clock at night! Hailey, you're supposed be in bed! And Bree, I don't hear you packing!"

   "I was, until Hailey distracted me!" I called.

   Hailey stuck out her tongue. "Tattletale!"

   "See you in three days," I said calmly, with the hint of a smug smirk.

   Mom ran down the stairs angrily. She wore her yellow button - down shirt and green pajama shorts, and her dark blond hair had become loose from its bun and straggled down her neck. On one foot she had a fuzzy gray slipper and a pink sock, on the other a black high - heeled shoe. It was an interesting fashion combination. Her lips pursed when she saw us.

   "Bree!" she exclaimed. "You're leaving tomorrow for Germany, and you didn't even finish packing! And you wanted to go to Abigail's for a movie night!"

I sighed. "Sorry, Mom. I'll —"

But she was already onto Hailey.

"Young lady, it is way past your bedtime! You're coming with me to your room and going to sleep."

Mom dragged a complaining Hailey to her room.

After that, it took me another half hour to pack. By then, it was eleven o'clock, and I realized that I was late for Abigail's. I rushed to her house and found all my friends (with exception of Tiffany, who was sick) talking to each other while waiting for the corn to pop.