Chapter Seven: The Troubles in Arrival

After what felt like a million hours later, Principal Peters, the Book Huggers, Conner and I made our way through Berlin's airport to a taxi waiting for us outside. The driver was a rather old man with a curling brown mustache and a round, chubby face.

Principal Peters addressed the driver. "Guten Tag," she said in German. "I'm Evelyn Peters, so nice to meet you."

"HELLO!" said Cindy loudly to the driver. "WE'RE FROM THE UNITED STATES. I'TS AN HONOR TO BE IN YOUR COUNTRY."

I rolled my eyes.

"I'm German, not hard of hearing," he replied coolly, in English. "Let me load your bags into the van and we'll be on our way to your hotel."

As soon the vehicle started, all four Book Huggers instantly took out cameras and enthusiastically photoed everything in their line of sight. I was instantly reminded of Tiffany's story with her little brothers.

"Look, it's a telephone pole!" exclaimed Lindy, and all the other girls crowded around her camera.

"It looks just like the telephone poles back at home," I said.

"But it's a German telephone pole," she said haughtily.

I couldn't refrain from rolling my eyes again. They were so like my little sisters back at home. Was I ever going to get the European adventure I had flown here for?

   My principal's voice snapped me back to the present. "Of all the cities in the world," Peters declaimed, "Berlin is very much among those that shaped the world into what it is today. There is history everywhere you look, some noble, some terrible, but highly important nonetheless."

   Mindy said, "It seems more dirty than historical to me. Look at that wall over there — it's covered in graffiti!"

    I took a peek at the wall she was looking at, and I instantly recognized it from multiple photos and books I had read and seen online. "That's the Berlin Wall, Mindy," I said. "It's one of the most important and historic sights on earth."

    The driver snorted.

   "Oh," Mindy said, face red. "Well, you'd think there'd be a sign or something."

   As we watched the scenery pass from the window of the cab, I noticed that many signs were taped to various bus stops. It was translated into English:

   The University of Berlin Presents

   A Grimm-Fest

   Be among the first to hear three never - told - before stories by the Brothers Grimm as the University of Berlin opens a time capsule left by the famous storytelling duo.

   Wednesday, 12:00 noon

   At Matthaus - Kirchhoff cemetery

   Contact the University of Berlin for ticket information.

We all looked at the posters in awe, excitement growing. I couldn't wait for the readings!

"Let's all take take a quick nap when we arrive and then perhaps we can go for a walk around the city before dinner," Principal Peters said. "The stories will be read at the cemetery at noon tomorrow, so meet in the lobby at ten o'clock for complimentary breakfast, or if you want to sleep in, we'll be leaving the hotel at eleven o'clock sharp. Then after the readings we can have lunch in a cafe of our choice and I've scheduled a bike tour of Tiergarten Park. Then on Thursday we'll visit Brandenburg Gate, the Chancellory, and a couple museums. On our last day I thought we could visit some of the local shops before our flight home."

We all nodded enthusiastically. The principal's itinerary sounded great — I also couldn't wait to go to a foreign mall! I had to get some souvenirs.

Soon, we arrived at 'Enormous Palace Hotel', or Hotel Gewaltiger Palast in German. It didn't look enormous or palace - like to me. It very small and shabby, colorless, and with barely any staff members. It looked like a place that had been standing since World War II.

Principal Peters passed out room keys. "Although I doubt I have to worry about anything with this particular group, I must remind everyone that although we're in a different country, all school rules and policies will be strictly enforced on this trip. Now, everyone, try to get some sleep."

  We boarded the elevator. Wendy and Lindy were on the second floor, Mindy Cindy and I on the third, and Conner on the fourth. I wasn't so happy about sharing a room with the Book Huggers. I looked longingly up at the fourth floor where Conner slept as we exited the elevator. I wished I could have been the one to sleep with him...

   I jerked myself upright. Since when do I think about boys? Since when do I think about sleeping with them?

   What was happening to me?

   Mindy, Cindy and I walked without a word to our room and opened the door. It was rather small, with three tiny beds, a muddy looking carpet, cracked wallpaper and a big window that overlooked the amazing German view. I jumped onto the bed and winced — the mattresses were as stiff as paper.

   I noticed Cindy and Mindy huddling in a corner and whispering, looking at me with pointed glares. I rolled my eyes. "You know, if you want to talk about me, just say it to my face."

   Mindy crossed her arms. "Bree, Bree, Bree," she said tauntingly. "Always thinks she's so above us."

   "But yet, despite this, she secretly stalks her crush — which is as low as you can get," Cindy snickered.

   My face went red. Crush? What did they know?

  Despite my hammering heart, I tried my best to keep my cool. "Crush?" I forced a chuckle which sounded fake even to me. "You Book Huggers sure have a bright imagination."

  Mindy and Cindy rolled their eyes in unison. "Whatever you say," Mindy said sarcastically.

   They turned to leave. "Oh, and Bree," Cindy said, spinning back. "You don't happen to know anything about the mystery of the Bailey twins, do you?"

   "What? No," I said.

   The two girls scrutinized me carefully. "Well, be sure to tell us when that changes," Mindy said, and they went out, slamming the door behind them.

   I sighed and plugged my earbuds in, the smooth melody of the song lulling into a calm, tranquil state. I strolled over to the window and admired the amazing view, full of trees, rolling hills, and old brick buildings. The history of Berlin seemed to pump through the city like a heart.

   A movement caught my eye from the floor above me. I noticed Conner looking down at me with a thoughtful expression, until he noticed me staring at him and went the color of a tomato. I laughed, and waved enthusiastically. He went a little white, then chuckled and waved back. He then started to shut the window's drapes.

   I suddenly realizing I was waving and grinning like a doofus, and blushed. I quickly turned back to gazing at the window...except I saw two people's figures reflected in the glass. I spun around and saw Mindy and Cindy at the doorway, looking at me and giggling.

   My face went red, and with a sigh I flopped down onto my papery sheets on the bed. It was going to be a long night.

Hope you liked the chapter guys!! I know it's super short and came out really cringey, but I promise the next chapter will be better. It's gonna be when they hear the Brothers Grimm's new stories! I'm so excited!!
  I know I haven't updated for a while, but I'll try and write as much as I can on Christmas break. Other than that, I'll try to update soon!!
— Raelynn