11. Après Moi, Le Déluge

"The Italians call them strega. The Yoruba of West Africa call them aje, meaning mother. Where my mother was from, they called them häxa, and here we call them witch. Over the centuries, vampires have fought them and fought beside them, bedded them and burned them. Whether adversary or ally, they have been a force to be reckoned with. Their ancestral magic anchors this city. There's never been one all-powerful witch until Davina." Elijah says as I'm sitting on a chair eating a burger and Nik is standing by the doorway, listening.

"Who is now tucked in safe and sound down the hall under my protection." Nik says as he looks down the drawing. "Your Celeste was quite beautiful and a portent of evil, according to our volatile artist in residence."

"Yes. Perhaps Davina's mistaken what she calls evil for power. Celeste was certainly very powerful in her day, but she's been dead for over two hundred years. I don't understand. Why all these sketches now?" Elijah asks as he sat down and Nik sat beside me.

"Why does any witch do anything?"

Only a second had passed when I heard something crashing. I looked at Nik, wondering what just happened.

"Well, that's going well." Nik says as he pours himself a drink.

"If you were trying to win the girl's trust, perhaps poisoning her one true love was not the most splendid idea."

"Oh. Are there any more inopportune deaths you'd like to wave in my face?"

"Give me a month. I'll get you a list." Elijah says, sarcastically and I smiled.

"Young, old, dead, or alive, witches are a pain in the ass." Nik says as he stands up and leaves the room to go deal with Davina.

I took this chance to ask him something. "Elijah?"

"Mhm?" He asks as he looks at the sketch of Celeste.

Before I can even ask the house begins to shake violently. I stood up and I saw books flew off the shelves. Elijah looks at me confusingly before we run out to the balcony that overlooks the courtyard. Marcel and Nik does the same.

"What the hell is going on?" Rebekah asks, rushing into the courtyard.

"Davina."

***

I'm in my room looking for my phone when Marcel walks in, "What are you looking for?"

"My phone. I might have left it at the plantation house." I said and I turn to look at him. "You're here about Cami. I did tell you where she was."

"And you didn't tell me she bashed her head in."

"Oops. I forgot about that." I smiled and looks at me annoyingly.

"She almost died." Marcel says, trying to hold his anger.

"I felt guilty for trying to kill her. Human me is having new emotions I've never had when I was a vampire. I told you where she was was after all. That's gotta count for something, right?" I asked and he rolls his eyes. "You worked with Tyler. And he wanted me dead and my child. So the real question is: do you want me dead?"

"I didn't want you dead. I wanted Klaus to pay for what he did."

"When I killed Tyler I didn't feel guilty and I don't."

"What?" I heard someone asked and I looked to see Hayley at the doorway. Marcel looks at me before leaving the room and Hayley and I stayed in silence for a long moment.

"I'm not apologizing if that's what's your waiting for." I told her.

"I wasn't."

"Okay, I good." I said and noticed her worried expression. "What's wrong?"