Part 1

"Arise Goku!" Shenron orders, eyes glowing.

The glow from Shenron's eyes die down and Goku lets out a shaky grunt. Everyone around him steps a little closer, watching him closely. Pan kneels closest to him, staring intently at him. They're all relieved when he twitches and a pained expression crosses his face briefly. It fades as quickly as it came and his face relaxes, eyes slowly opening. He blinks and sits up, looking around him. Seeing everyone he cared for was alive and well and that Shenron was back to normal has him smiling. He hops to his feet, sprinting towards Shenron.

"Shenron!" he exclaims. "You're okay now!"

"Thanks to the efforts of you and your friends the dragon balls have been restored, thus so have I," Shenron states.

"That's great! Do you think could bring back all of the people who died since 17 and the Shadow Dragons appeared, for old times' sake?"

"Very well," Shenron agrees, his eyes glowing briefly, then stopping. "It is done."

All around the world those who had died returned to the land off the living and several buildings were returned to their original state.

"Now, we must go."

"Go?" Trunks asked. "Where are you going?"

"The Dragon Balls were never intended to be used to as they have. They were there for the hope of never having to use them, not their convenience. Because of this they were over taxed and overflowing with negative energy. Your last wish caused them to crack under the pressure, releasing the negative energy and creating the Shadow Dragons. This world has come to rely far too much on the Dragon Balls, so I must leave and take them with me, until the Earth can function without them. Only then, shall I return."

"Still, you said 'we'. Who else were you talking about going with you? Dende?"

Shenron's eyes fall onto Goku, who nods in understanding. He turns towards everyone else, a small smile on his face and an intense look in his eyes. Just like when Cell was going to self-destruct and take the whole planet with him. Gohan was the first to recognize that look and his eye widen.

"D-dad?" he asks, shakily.

Goku nods in reply.

Gohan clenches his fists. "W-why?"

Everyone else looked between the two confused.

"Huh? What's going on?" Goten asks, bewildered. "Why are you so upset?"

"Dad's the one Shenron is talking about. He's leaving with him."

Everyone gasps in shock, looking towards Goku. He nods to confirm what Gohan just told them.

"B-but, why?" Goten asks, shocked and confused.

"Goku, don't you even think about it!" Chichi shouted with tears in her eyes.

"Goku/Kakarot?" Vegeta and the others ask.

"Grandpa?" Pan asks with tears in her eyes.

Goku gives them the same sad smile. "I have to go. When I used that Spirit Bomb just now to take out Omega, it contained all of my life-force as well. I was dying before I made it, barely holding on to be honest, and holding it was what kept me alive. So, when I used it, I died. The only thing is that I didn't go to otherworld. I was in this place called 'The Void' and Shenron brought me back."

"That still doesn't explain why you have to leave with him!" Goten shouts, crying.

"Because I'm no longer meant to be a part of this world. I was supposed to fade into the void and become a part of that world. The only reason I'm here is because of Shenron was able to slip through Omega and pull me back and that's only because I ate the four-star Dragon Ball before. My life force is currently tied to his as long as I remain in this world. As such, since he's leaving, I to must go with him. We're intertwined now. Besides, someone has to watch the Dragon Balls while he sleeps. I'm strong enough and I'm connected to them now, so it has to be me. It's why he brought me back."