FIFTY-SIX

ISABELLE DONOVAN
FRIDAY JULY 1, 2022

Things have been different since The Big Reveal. That's what I'm referring to it as. So many revelations.

First revelation: my captor's name is not JD. It's Mark. Mark Chambers. Second revelation: his wife, Alexandra Chambers, went missing without a trace and has never been found. Third revelation: my reason for being here is because Mark Chambers believes my husband killed Alexandra Chambers.

It's been quite a week.

I'm still not sure what purpose I serve exactly. Did Mark abduct me to get even with Scott? You took my wife so I'll take yours. Or is it to extract information from Scott, since Mark doesn't have any solid proof to back up his claims. But if that's the case, why am I still here? What is Mark planning to do with me? He hasn't hurt me, but he hasn't mentioned a release date yet either. I presume he's stalling. Perhaps he's not even sure what to do with me, so for now, he's biding his time.

Then another thought hits me. What if Mark plans on killing me and framing Scott for my murder? That would be the biggest retribution in Mark's eyes. Not only would Scott lose a wife, but he'd go to jail for it, just like the police tried to do to Mark.

Today is Friday. It's the first of July. I've been here exactly two weeks. We haven't spoken much since last night. I've still been trying to process this entire thing and wrap my head around it all. My entire reason for being here is because of Alexandra Chambers and my husband. I guess Mark was right when he told me from the beginning that this wasn't about me.

As he said, I'm just collateral damage. A pawn in a much bigger game. He's using me for a purpose and probably couldn't care less about what happens to me. As much as it pains me to admit it, I think that part is the most difficult to come to grips with. As insane as this sounds, I've been feeling much more relaxed during my time here. He doesn't keep me chained to a bed. He doesn't rape me. He doesn't deprive me of food. For a woman who's been abducted, I have it pretty good.

And then there's all the time we spend together, cooped up in this cottage with only each other's presence. We go for walks, eat dinner, watch movies, talk about our lives. I found myself opening up to him in the most peculiar way. It's not as though I'm attached to him, but we developed a rapport, as well as a level of trust between us. He trusted that I wouldn't attempt to escape, and I trusted that he wouldn't kill me. Hoped is probably a better word. He instilled fear into me, the looming threat that if I ever tried to leave, he wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger. That's what's been keeping me here. But despite the psychological chains in my mind that keep me imprisoned here, I still felt safe and at ease with him.

Mark. It's odd saying his name. I've spent two weeks mentally referring to him as JD that the name Mark doesn't seem to suit him. But now alas I have an identity to place on the man who has taken me. That should feel like a bit of a relief, but for some reason, it doesn't. It only makes things worse.

I feel as though these past two weeks have been a sham. In the beginning I thought he was dangerous. But the longer I was here, the more I got to see a different side of him. I let my guard down. I believed him and trusted him. I wasn't as fearful of him as I was when I was arrived here. But with the news of his identity, I feel terrified all over again.

I don't know what Mark Chambers is capable of. I don't know what he wants with me. And I don't know the lengths he's willing to go to avenge his wife and get reprisal for her death.

Perhaps I won't make it out of here alive after all.