Faith on Open Ocean

In the wee hours of the morning, our ship left the island of Doorn for the coast of Narnia. I sensed that we were on the open sea when I woke in the stately bed that King Peter had offered me. A lion was engraved on the headboard as well. I was beginning to wonder if this Aslan figure led some kind of cult.

After struggling into my clothes and clumsily tightening my stays by myself, a light rapping came at the door. Smoothing my hair, unbound around my shoulders, I straightened my posture.

"Come in!" I called out.

"Oh good! You've learned how to dress yourself!" Brisa declared, perching her hands on her hips and surveying my work. She grimaced. "The hair needs some attention, as usual."

I smirked. "Good morning to you too."

"And we are off! Have you seen? Nothing, but glorious blue for miles!" She raced over to the windows and opened a latch. I caught the edge of her skirt as she leaned out to keep from losing the enthusiastic teenager over the side. "That's freedom for you. Nothing like it in the world! No plans and no one to order you around. No one to tell you what to do."

"Well, may I suggest not hanging so far out the open window? You're scaring me."

"Oh, stop worrying! I was fine," she groused as she put both feet firmly on the ground once more to my great relief.

Someone rapped on the door frame. As I turned, I jumped back a step and gave a little shriek of surprise. The astonishing figure at the threshold of the cabin, his armor gleaming, goggled back at me. 

"I'm sorry," I stammered. "It's just that you- you're-"

"A faun?" Brisa offered with an incredulous look before approaching the strange person at the door. "Don't mind her, Sir Cabiam. She's easily startled... by everything."

The faun was half man and half goat. His skin was pale and his goat hind quarters were covered in thick, dark brown fur. Hooves tapping against the floor, he entered the room with some dignity after my less than flattering reaction. A tray was balanced on one hand.

"No harm," he said, lifting his bearded chin with a cool smile. "I understand that Lady Tabitha is from the country of Spare Oom, same as the High King and his royal siblings. There are few of our kind there, I expect?"

"Um... yes, you're right. I suppose you are the first faun that I have ever seen."

"Truly?"

"Yes." I gave him a welcoming smile. "And you are quite a handsome faun at that."

Sir Cabiam's shoulders loosened and he almost smiled in return. "Well. Thank you. I have brought you your breakfast, my lady."

Cringing after my rude behavior towards someone who was being so thoughtful, I gestured towards the table where the king and I had eaten the previous night. "Thank you so much. That's very kind of you."

"Of course. I was curious to meet you. You see, my older cousin is Tumnus. He was the first Narnian to meet Queen Lucy and he has always spoken of your people as being very cordial."

Again, I winced. "I hope I have not disappointed you."

"Not entirely," he quipped with a swift wink on an otherwise dour face. 

"Did you hear, Sir Cabiam?" Brisa snagged the apple on my plate and munched into it. "Sir Gwalter has agreed to train me in swordplay. He said you were the one to speak with about archery."

"Did he now?"

Brisa swallowed her bite and nodded vigorously. "Oh yes, he was most complimentary."