A Servant of Cair Paravel

The kitchens of Cair Paravel were cavernous with cathedral ceilings and high windows, sea air and sunlight spilling over the stone floors below. A pair of cooking fires, in hearths big enough to fit three people a piece, were roaring as a dozen cooks and scullery maids raced around as they prepared a huge meal.

"Queen Susan has ordered the preparation for a great feast this night to celebrate the return of her brothers. She oversaw the menu herself," Gwalter explained as he hustled us through the chaos.

"I suppose she directed the music, the seating, and the decorations for the grand hall as well?" Thedal shook his head with a smirk.

Gwalter nodded. "You know our queen."

"She is efficient if anything," Thedal sighed.

I snagged Brisa by the wrist before we left her behind as Gwalter cut down a windowless corridor. The slack jawed look on her young face didn't fade even after we left the kitchens. I had to admit that I was just as awestruck. If these were the unseen parts of the castle that were populated mostly by servants, I could only imagine the grander places. 

The hall echoed with footsteps, not just our own. Torches flickered in wall sconces every few feet. Gwalter turned down a short staircase and then down another hall. The sound of the sea murmured against the thick walls beyond. I realized we were in one of the lower parts of the palace that faced the ocean. 

"Here is your room, Lady Tabitha," Gwalter said, taking out a set of keys and unlocking one of the many wooden doors lining the corridor.

"Just for the time being," Thedal murmured, patting my hand.

"Yes, of course," Gwalter repeated, though less confident.

The door swung open and I was relieved to see that the small room was filled with sunshine. A seagull perched on the ledge outside my own high window. Disconcertingly, it was barred, but I tried not to consider that fact as I looked around. It was simply furnished with a little round table and a chair in the corner, a hook for clothes on the back of the door, and a twin sized bed with wool blankets and clean sheets. A new dress was laid over the back of the chair.

"If there is anything else you need, let me know," Thedal reassured me, grimacing as he surveyed the room. "All this is very untoward. For a guest of the kings and queens."

"I am more like a stowaway than a guest," I laughed, trying to make light of the situation. "Everything is great. It's nice to hear the ocean on this side of the castle."

Brisa nodded firmly as she looked around. "Better than the corner where I lived in my aunt and uncle's hovel. I get my own bed. That's an improvement. So where's my room?"

Gwalter shifted uncomfortably, shooting me a remorseful glance. "You are actually coming home with me to my family."

Brisa cocked her head to the side, her eyes widening. "What?"

"I spoke with King Edmund, trying to bargain for both of you. But he only allowed you to come with me, since you are my daughter's age. You girls will be bunking up together. She wants to join Queen Lucy's troop one day as well, you will have much in common," Gwalter explained patiently. "My wife and I will treat you as one of our own."

Despite the momentary panic of being here on my own without my little companion, I was thrilled at the thought of Brisa being a part of a real family. I had at least been blessed with Gram and Gramps at her age. Brisa had nothing until the day we met in that slaver's vessel.

"But- but what about-"

"Oh, don't you dare," I cut her off, gripping her hand and peering down into her overwhelmed expression. "You go with Sir Gwalter. This is a wonderful thing for you. Don't you dare think about me. As you can see, I will be very comfortable here. This is the safest place that I can be for now. Understand?"