Chapter 2 - The Disguise Comes Off

Edited 10/5/21

Doyle's POV

I found her. I finally found that stupid bitch. She's been dancing at a club all this time. After everything she has put me through in the last three years, I'm going to make her pay.

Grabbing my cell phone, I make a call to my subordinate. "I found her. Round up the men and tell them to be ready." Putting the phone away, I walk away from the club. A couple is walking in the opposite direction, but they are of no concern to me. My only thought is on the little slut, Hannah.

Hannah's POV

Two Weeks Later

I sigh as I glance at the door for the third time in twenty minutes. He still hasn't come in today. Ever since I met him two weeks ago, Joshua has come into the diner for breakfast. He always comes in at 6 on the dot...until today that is. I look at the clock behind the counter again, noting the time on the clock. 6:30. Was he not going to come in today? For some reason, my chest hurts thinking he wouldn't be coming in today.

The bell above the door chimes, signaling a customer has walked in. I turn with a smile glued on my face to greet the newcomer, and I'm shocked to see an annoyed-looking Joshua with another man. Quickly recovering, I call for them to sit anywhere as I grab two menus. They take seats at the counter.

"Can I get you some coffee?" I smile as I hand each man a menu.

"Yes," Joshua grunts.

"None for me, thank you," the other man says politely.

"Alright, let me know if you change your mind." I turn and grab a mug and the fresh pot of coffee to pour for Joshua. "It's nice to see you again. Would you like your usual?"

"Yeah, thanks," he looks me in the eye for the first time. I start to offer a smile but stop short. His face. Something was different. He looked...unlike himself. His nose was less bulbous. Straighter and more elegant. And his eyes. Gone were the plain brown irises I was accustomed to. His eyes were purple. Deep violet pools of uncertainty and hesitation.

Turning on my heel, I retreat to the kitchen. God. I was staring, wasn't I? Did he get a nose job? Is he wearing contacts? He must be...

I take my time making the rice balls before walking back out to him. I don't want to be rude by staring, but I also want to know if his eyes really are violet or if I was seeing something.

"Here you are," I smile as I place the plate in front of him. I walk over to another customer to refill his coffee before walking back behind the counter. "Who's your friend?" I ask politely, placing my arms on the counter and leaning on them casually.

"I'm Jan, his high-" the man stops short when Joshua shoots him a look. "I'm Jan. It's nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too. I'm Hannah," I smile. "You sure you don't want coffee?"

"Coffee would be nice," he smiles politely. Something about his smile doesn't fit. Kinda like it doesn't reach his eyes...

I pour a cup for him before turning back to Joshua who has already eaten two rice balls. Impressive. "So, are you wearing contacts?"

His hands freeze. "What?"

"Your eyes. They're usually brown, but today they look violet." I look at him quizzically. "Sometimes girls at the club use colored contact lenses to change their eye color. I was just wondering if you're wearing contacts today. I mean...I like them." I shrug, trying to play the whole thing off. Maybe I hit a nerve?

"They're real," he finally muttered.

"Oh, that's cool," I smiled. So, he's been wearing contacts all this time.

He scratched his neck absently. "I'm also wearing a wig."

My eyes met his and I couldn't look away. "A wig?"

"My hair is actually purple," he admits. Then, he shoves a rice ball in his mouth to hide his embarrassment.

"Like scene kid purple or like naturally purple?" Oh no, I thought. He's a freaking scene kid...

"Naturally."

I nodded. "That's cool, I guess." I shake my head. "Why tell me this?"

"I have to go away next week." He blushed. "I just wanted to let you know."

At this, I can't help but smile. "I see." He didn't want me to forget him. How sweet. He finishes his meal and we chat for a little while before he and Jan leave. I sigh as I clear the dishes. I'm surprised as a single thought crosses my mind: I'm going to miss him.

Joshua's POV

Stupid Jan. If he hadn't caught me putting my wig on this morning, I could have gone to the diner alone and Hannah and I could have had a more intelligent conversation. Maybe she wouldn't have found out about the freaking disguise.

Somehow, I'm relieved she knows. But I'm also disappointed she found out so awkwardly. Maybe I'm awkward. No. I'm a prince, and princes are not awkward. The worst part is that this was not how it was supposed to go. I have researched the topic extensively since meeting her two weeks ago. According to the books I have been reading, she was supposed to find out at a ball. I would appear at the top of the stairs and walk down, I'd ask her to dance, and after we would take a walk. On our walk, she would tell me she was in love with someone else and start describing me. I'd reveal myself, and we'd share a kiss. That is what all the books say. So why did it not work like that?

Jan. It all failed because Jan walked in and I didn't put my contacts in.

"Your highness," Jan says from the driver's seat. "You know its against the rules to sneak out of the palace. Why is it so important for you to see that waitress?"

"Her name is Hannah, and she makes good rice balls," I bark. How dare he call her 'that waitress'?

"The palace chef could make rice balls if you wish."

"I know, but she makes the best," I pout. What did he know? I frown as I realize that I have to leave next week. A new country wishes to join the alliance, and the princes of the six nations are coming together to plan a ball to honor them. I wish Hannah could come to the ball...wait. No. She's a commoner. Maybe getting away from her is best. If I have some time away from her maybe my life will go back to normal. Looking out the window, I feel the tension release from my shoulders. Once I get back, I can think everything over.

Thanks for reading!