Chapter 6 - A New Beginning

Edited 10/5/21

Hannah's POV

The Next Morning

I tied my apron around my waist and waited for Joshua to walk into the diner. Since he offered me a job a week ago, its been on my mind non-stop. If he could just give me a contract to review, maybe I could wrap my head around this better.

An hour after my shift started, Joshua and his friend came into the diner and sat at the counter. I poured a cup of coffee for each of them and sat a plate of rice balls in front of Joshua.

"I've been thinking about your offer," I say casually. "What sort of accommodations would you be providing?"

"Miss Becker, I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of preparing a contract should you decide to accept the position," Jan said, handing me a thick contract.

"Thank you," I say, beginning to read it thoroughly. The contract was surprisingly detailed. A room at Joshua's home would be provided for me. I would have full access to any of the facilities on the grounds, and my wages were practically quadruple what I made at both the club and diner put together.

According to the job description, I would be teaching Joshua how to court a woman. Did he not know how to date? That's so...well, I've actually never been on a date... Well, not a real one anyway. Then again, I really need this job.

"Um, I only have one problem," I say after reading through the document.

"What?" Joshua asked, finishing he third rice ball.

"If I moved into your home for this job, I would need to bring Olivia. She's only ten, so I can't leave her on her own."

"You have a child?!" Joshua's eyes widen in disbelief.

I frown. "She's my sister."

"Oh, right," Joshua says indignantly. "I knew that. I just...forgot for a moment."

"Sure," I nod as I look over the contract again. "Can I give you an answer tomorrow?"

The Next Week

I look around at the apartment. It's bare furnishings and dirty walls remind me of the past years. A waiter from the bar is taking over my lease so Olivia and I can move to Joshua's house. As my eyes land on the two suitcases we packed, I wonder if I am making the right choice. Will this keep Olivia safe? Will we be able to hide from Doyle?

"Ready?" Olivia asks from the doorway. She's excited to move to a new house, and I don't want to keep her waiting.

"Yeah, Jan should be here any minute." I grab my suitcase and follow her to the front of the building. A black town car sat just outside waiting for us.

"Shall I fetch the rest of the luggage?" Jan queried, indicating our bags.

"No, this is all we have," I shrugged as I went to lift my bag into the trunk. Jan took my bag from me and placed it gently in the trunk. Turning to Olivia, he took her back and placed it beside mine. He shut the trunk and walked to the door, opening it for us. We slid in and off we went toward our new life.

The journey didn't seem long. In fact, it went by rather quickly. Before we knew it, we were approaching the castle.

"That's the castle!" Liv said excitedly.

"So it is," I nodded, not really interested. It occurred to me that I wasn't sure where Joshua lived, and now I was trying to remember if he ever told me.

"Hannah, why are the gates opening?" Liv whispered to me.

"What?" I shook my head, clearing my thoughts. She was right. In front of our car, the castle gates were opening, allowing us to drive through. Did Joshua live on the palace grounds?

"Maybe we'll get to see the prince!"

Wait. The prince? Joshua was the prince's name, but surely, he couldn't be...no...there was no way. Was there?

Joshua's POV

I stand on the front steps of the palace peering into the drive. The car coming in from the village holds Hannah and her sister. It occurs to me that I never told her I was the prince. Will she be mad at me? What if she decides she doesn't want the job? I'm a bundle of nerves as I watch Jan drive down the path.

When the car stops, Hannah and a little girl slide from the car. I go to greet them, but I find myself unsure of what to say.

"Are you the prince?" The little girl squeals excitedly.

"Uh...yes," I say, looking at Hannah for some sign of emotion. There is none. Her face is as calm and collected as ever. Did she already know?

"Do we get to live in the palace? Are we gonna get to eat fancy meals? Can we go to balls? Am I allowed to have a sleepover with my friends?" The little girl continues to bombard me with questions. Before I can answer, Hannah interrupts.

"That's enough, 'Liv." She places her hand on the girl's shoulder and speaks calmly, "we aren't guests here. I'm an employee. Once we get settled, I will answer all of your questions, but for now, you are to stop being so informal with his highness. Okay?"

"Yes, ma'am." The girl says. She turns back to me and gives a wobbly curtsy. "Thank you for letting us stay here, your highness." Behind her, Hannah also curtsies, though she does so with grace and poise befitting a princess.

"The honor is mine," I say, bowing to them. "Jan," I say as I turn to him, "please escort these ladies to their rooms and then have Miss Becker shown to my office."

"Right away, your highness," Jan says, directing two footmen to unload the trunk. I turn and head to my office. Hopefully, Hannah isn't too upset with me. Then again, I'll have to wait to find out.

Thank you for reading!