Comforting Thomas

You slowly opened your eyes turning your head to look at your husband. He was flinching and scrunching his face up, you slowly sat up watching as he made faces in his sleep and his body would move as if he were being punched and he would clench his right fist. His breathing got deeper and he began fidgeting. You couldn't take it anymore, you placed your hand on his shoulder gently rubbing it "hey, Tommy. Wake up..." his flinching continued before you grabbed his hand, squeezing it tightly. He suddenly shot up and he looked around the room with wide eyes "it's OK. You're in Birmingham not France... You're, home tommy. Not at war" he sucked in a deep breath his eyes searching the room. You slowly moved closer, wrapping your arms around his neck. Your hand gently rubbed his back, you laid your head on his shoulder, whispering sweet nothings into his ear. Your touch felt foreign to him, he wasn't used to being comforted after having a nightmare. "y/n" he whispered, voice husky. "I'm right here" you said kissing his neck gently. He held you gently, hands still shaking "i–I just need a moment. OK" you nodded, letting him go. He slowly got up, his hair was messy and stuck up, beads of sweat were evident on his face. He pulled out a packet of cigarettes from his drawer and he lit it before taking a long drag. He gently blew it out before sitting on the blanket covoured chair. He laid his head on his hand and he sighed. He pulled the cigarette out of his mouth before stubbing it up against the wood. He stood up, grabbing his jacket "I'm heading out. I just need some time" you nodded, sighing softly. "I'll come with you" you said standing up "but–" you shook your head, grabbing your coat. You pulled it on before locking your arm around his arm. You walked with him until the cold air bit at your cheeks, you looked down and watched as his hand gripped your hand tightly "do you want to tell me what the dream was–" he cut you off "no i bloody don't want to!" he yelled before he held a hand over his eyes "I'm sorry... I just think you know what my dream was about" you nodded squeezing his hand lightly "I understand Tommy... But just know I'm here for you" Tommy nodded before he pulled you into his arms, holding you tight. "I love you" he whispered playing with your hair. You allowed him to do that as it was a comfort tactic for him "I love you too Tommy"