Part 22 - Pierce

Part 22 - Say It All You Want

"Hey Princess," I greet Iris, who looks a little tired as she walks into the house. "What happened?"

"Nothing," she assures me, sitting on the couch beside me. She pulls out the Calculus textbook and one of her binders. "I think we should get straight into the math after this, but I have something important to tell you. About Ruby."

I remember Monday's conversation and have a bad feeling that that's what she's about to tell me about. "Go on," I urge, giving her my full attention.

"She doesn't like school because she's being bullied and the teachers won't listen. And... She's been hurting herself. Giving herself bruises." She doesn't look at me, she just bites her bottom lip and turns to her shoes. "I figured you should know."

I nod, not knowing exactly how to respond. "I'll call her right now and see what she says." I do just that.

"Hey Ruby," I greet her on the phone. "How was school today? Any better? Has that kid backed off?"

"No," she huffs. "Not unless I threaten him. And I don't like threatening people."

"Ruby, did you give yourself a bruise?" I ask, getting the topic off of my shoulders.

"What?" There's a short pause. "No, they gave them to me. How do you know?"

"I heard what you said to Iris. You don't have to lie, Ruby, it's okay. There's a name for that, it's called self-harm. What Iris did is also self-harm, just a different kind."

"But bruises go away."

"That's still what it is. And you're really young, for someone to do it. Normally it's when they're older. That's serious stuff, Ruby."

"I know."

"Hold off on it, okay? If you're mad, I think it's more healthy for you to... I don't know, punch a pillow or a wall or something. We gotta take it out other ways."

"Can we talk about it later? When I come over next?"

"Alright, Ruby."

"I already knew," I blurt out after remembering the conversation with Ruby the day before. I realize it's probably better for me to tell her before she has the chance to ask. So when Iris's eyebrows draw together, I explain. "I heard the conversation. I heard that she bruises herself and I heard that... you cut yourself."

Her face goes pink and she hides her face in her hands. "Okay, well... I've stopped," she says, although it's through her sleeves so it's muffled.

"When was the last time you did that?"

She thinks for a moment. "Why?"

"Because."

"That's not an answer."

"Because it's important."

She sighs. "Last night. But don't get me wrong, it's not actually often, I just got into a fight with Sophie and I felt guilty and I... I dunno, I cut because I'm a terrible friend."

"Where is it?"

"Where is what?"

"The thing you use. Is it a razor?"

"It's... a pencil sharpener blade."

That raises a few questions but they're not important. I stand up and tell her, "C'mon, we're gonna go somewhere."