Part Six

I wish you luck, Cora.

Six days later, she was arranging flowers in the conservatory and still wondering over those words. She hadn't seen Harry since the night of the opera. Her notes had gone unreturned and his outside workshop remained dark. The one attempt she'd made to pay him a call was rebuffed, the Belmont's butler assuring her Harry was perfectly well but not receiving callers. He had refused to see her. It was as if he had locked himself away from her.

That's silly, she told herself. Why would Harry avoid her? He'd always been there for her, no matter what. Besides her cousin, Harry was her closest friend.

I wish you luck, Cora.

So, what on earth had Harry meant by that? In the alley, he'd been so funny and sweet. He always knew exactly what to say to cheer her up. Before he left, however, he'd seemed . . . sad. Defeated, almost. But none of that made sense.

She kept going over the night in her mind. He had seemed fine before intermission. Then they had visited John's box and she ran out to the alley directly after. Harry found her and made her laugh. He hugged her. And then . . . he'd put up a wall between them, a coldness she'd never experienced before. Not with him.

She was baffled.

The autumn flowers were almost finished blooming. In another week or so, oranges, reds, and browns would decorate every room in the house. She wiped her hands on the small apron she wore while gardening. What to do with the rest of her day?

"There you are, up to your elbows in dirt again."

Cora spun at the familiar voice and gasped. "Lily! You're home." She hurried to her cousin and pulled her into an embrace, dirty apron and all.

"Hello, Cora. I missed you, too." Lily patted her back and chuckled. "Now, let me go and we can see what cakes your cook has on hand. I'm starving."

Cora stepped back. She felt like crying, she was so happy. "I've ruined your dress."

Lily inspected the dirt. "I didn't care for it anyway. Besides, soon I won't be able to fit in it." Her cousin waggled her brows.

"Does that mean . . . ?"

"Yes. It most definitely does."

Cora squealed and hugged Lily once more. "I am so happy for you both. I cannot wait to be an aunt."

"You're already an aunt. Two of your brothers have children, remember?"

"I hardly see them and they all think I'm boring anyway. I shall finally get to be the fun aunt and spoil him or her rotten."

"You are not boring," Lily said and looped her arm with Cora's. They started toward the door. "You are smart and caring. One of the very best people I know."

"Of course you would say that. You're family."

"I am, but that doesn't mean I would lie to you. Your problem is you are so worried about tomorrow that you cannot enjoy today. Learn to seize the moment."

Cora thought about John Drexel and that horrible woman at the opera. He'd definitely been seizing the moment. Was that what he wanted in a woman? One who would engage in sexual congress during intermission at the Opera House?

She couldn't imagine doing such a thing.

They entered the blue family salon. "How was Chicago?"

"Lovely." Lily lowered herself onto a chintz-covered sofa. "Until I started getting nauseous every morning and evening. I told Calvin I was tired of vomiting in hotel rooms."