Prologue

You see that girl up there? Yeah, that's me. Griselda Gothel. Yes... Griselda. Obviously, my mother has an evil sense of humor... which makes sense because you see, I am the daughter of Gothel... you know that one lady who "kidnapped" the little princess Rapunzel when she was a baby? Yeah, that's my mom. You know, technically she didn't do anything wrong. I mean sure, she took a baby, but big deal, I know people who have done worse... myself included. And I mean, it wouldn't have even happened if the king's guards hadn't stolen my mom's flower in the first place. Ok... Quick synopsis in case you're totally lost...

Once, long ago, a drop of sunlight fell to earth, sprouting a small, beautiful, magical golden flower.
On her way through the forest, an old woman, Gothel, stumbled over the daffodil.
Somehow, she found that if she sang a song while touching the flower,
She suddenly became years younger.
Magic.
Years later in the kingdom, the king and queen were expecting a baby girl when suddenly, the queen became terrifyingly ill.
Desperate to save his beloved, the king sent his best guards to chase down a mythical cure.
The golden flower.
Mom's flower.
Despite her best efforts to hide it, the guards eventually found the flower, and the queen was saved.
Long story short...
In a blinding rage, Gothel snuck into the castle in the middle of the night, lifted the small child from her bassinet, and disappeared into the darkness.
Apparently, the magic of the flower still lived in the young girl...
Well in her hair at least.
Eighteen years later, the princess was alive and well, sitting at home in her tower, brushing her golden hair that stretched on for miles, when HE appeared.
The man who ruined my mother's life.
Flynn Rider.
He convinced the young girl to run away with him, abandoning my mother who had begun to think of Rapunzel as her own daughter.
Eventually, Gothel finally caught up to the young couple and demanded that she get back what she was owed, but to no avail.
The magic hair was severed, and my mother quickly began to age again.
She was thrown into the Enchanted Forest to rot for the rest of her days.
That was,
Until Maleficent came along.
She gave Gothel an anti-aging spell that restored the woman's Beauty and youth.
Together, the fast friends began to plot their revenge.
Until the Beast decided that all of the "villains" were no longer worth the hassle to have around. So, he shoved them all on one little Island, expecting peace and harmony to be restored in the United States Of Auradon.
A small slab of land in the middle of shark-infested waters, covered with a magic-proof barrier.
The Isle Of The Lost.

That's where I was born. My mother remained close friends with the all-powerful Maleficent so naturally, when they somehow managed to both get knocked up at the same time, the outcome would be that the two children became best friends. The daughter of Maleficent, and the daughter of Gothel. Elda and Mal.

However, let me let you in on a little secret, villains as parents? Not the best idea in the world. While my mother was great at kidnapping children and bending everyone to her will, she wasn't exactly who I would name Mother of the Year. In fact, she told me regularly that I wasn't exactly her favorite person either. See I wasn't exactly the ideal daughter I mean I didn't have magical glowing hair. I couldn't make her younger. And with that fancy power-blocking force field around the island, that meant that the anti-aging spell that Maleficent had put on my mother many moons ago, was slowly starting to wear off, and she was beginning to age like a normal woman. And she resented that. So, she resented me.
But that's okay see because together, Mal and I made up two-fifths of the baddest, rottenist, no good gang on the Isle.
The VKs.
We were each other's family, and nothing can tear us apart...
Right?