Until Tomorrow

I spun on my heel.

"Mal."

I didn't say her name as much as I sighed it.

"Elda."

She wasn't angry anymore. In fact, she looked a bit... Relieved. Part of me wanted to run to her... To apologize, to be the Elda she knew and loved. But she would have to work for it.

"Why are you here?"

I tried to sound indifferent, I fixed my gaze on a light across the sea behind her, knowing that as soon as my eyes met hers, I'd crumble.

"Oh, come on Elda. Don't be like this."

She didn't sound like herself. Usually, when I was being a snot, her tone would be more annoyed, with just the smallest hint of playfulness. But not tonight. Instead, she spoke softly. Her voice was sweet, hurt, and even a little... Innocent. This seemed to make the anger inside of me boil.

"Then how do you want me to be Mal?"

I snapped, hugging my arms tightly to my chest, my eyes now locked onto her clothing. She looked like an actual princess. The purple suede material of her jacket and skirt looked way more expensive and royal paired with the bright baby blue trimming. The sleeves of her jacket were so poufy, that she almost looked like Cinderella, which was seemingly laughable considering that her son's new girlfriend was now Mal's new nemesis. Although, since I knew nothing of Mal's life off of the isle, I had no idea whether or not that previous statement was actually true or not. Usually, an outfit like this on a VK made us look like we were the equivalent of a party clown; like we were wearing a costume so absurd it was nearly hilarious. But on Mal... It almost looked like it fit. And that made my heart sink.

"I'm sorry."

She whispered. I sighed and felt my body relax a bit.

"What I did was wrong. But Elda... You were wrong too."

I finally glanced up at her, feeling strong enough to fight if I needed to.

"I never thought you were weak... Not at all."

She sighed.

"If anything, I've always thought the opposite. You're right ya know... You have always been the best out of the two of us."

I felt sympathy start to burn in my throat as I shook my head.

"That's just not true Mal."

She made a face and smiled.

"It is. It's not a bad thing. It just... The way things are. You were always the best thief, the best student, the best fighter, the most evil."

She sighed and made a face.

"I guess... I guess I just wanted to be better at something for once."

I sighed and tilted my head at her.

"Mal... How does you going to Uma over my head somehow make you better than me at something?"

She made another face.

"I thought that maybe, if I could protect you from the pirates, maybe... Just maybe it could trump at least one thing that you've done."

I scoffed and shook my head.

"It's not a competition."

She rolled her eyes.

"Everything is a competition."

We stood in silence for a minute, letting those words sink into our bones.

"You know..."

I broke the silence.