An Invisible Thread

GOA

The next morning is bright and sunny and fills Kartik with more hope than he's felt in the last 5 years. The moment Kartik lands at the Goa airport, a new sense of optimism engulfs his heart, there's a spring in his step, but he just can't seem to put his finger on the why.

Could he possibly be close to her or is it just the after effect of the beautiful dream of them together in Egypt, which he woke up from in the morning? Or perhaps it's simply the lovely weather? Whatever that reason may be, he's in no mood to dampen his high spirits and so quickly proceeds to his destination without giving it all too much thought.

As per his routine, as soon as he arrives at the venue, he immediately starts going through the list. What he sees leaves him shocked!

Kartik - No Naira Singhanias but 5 Tinas! No wonder I was feeling so hopeful when I landed here. Chalo, let's wait for the participants to start arriving.

Lurking near the reporting desk as the participants begin to trickle in, he scans every face, feeling extra confident that she will surely come today.

Time passes by at a snail's pace. After the allotted time is almost up, the volunteer at the desk announces that only 5 minutes are remaining before reporting time is over. Kartik glances over at the list in his hand, his confidence intact.

Kartik - 3 of the 5 Tinas have already reported. But I won't lose hope. Krishnaji is on my side today, I can feel it in my bones. She's somewhere nearby and she's going to come here today. I'm sure she's just late. Maybe she's stuck in traffic? I should convince the venue in-charge to allow for 15 minutes grace time - just in case.

As Kartik walks a short distance away to place the call, a child is seen approaching the desk at a run, followed closely behind by 2 ladies. As all 3 of them come to a halt in front of the desk, 1 of the ladies turns to the kid and tries to reason with him.

Tina - Baby, yeh galat baat hai. I told you na, you have to go to school with Liza. Competition start hone mein bahut time hai and I'll make sure they put my name near the end so you won't miss it. Please listen to your Mumma!

Kairav - No Mumma. Aaj Kairav ko isschool nahin jana hai. Baby ko sirf apni cool mumma ko cheer karna hai.

Tina - Kairav aap good boy ho na, aise zidd mat karo. Please Mumma ki baat maan lo na.

Hearing a new set of voices from near the desk, Kartik turns to look at the trio. He feels the sense of belonging intensify multifold as he looks at the back of the  lady speaking to the child. But he quickly shrugs it off - after all he's had this feeling since the moment he's arrived in this city and is sure it's just a sign that she's nearby. Not to forget, this lady has a child so she couldn't possibly be his Naira. He turns back around, returning his full attention to the phone call. Meanwhile -

Kairav - Uncle, uncle. See see, Tina the tin tin is here.

Tina - I'm so sorry about this, sir. My name is Tina. I'm a participant.

Volunteer - Which Tina? There are a few Tinas who are yet to report.

Glancing through the list in front of her and spotting her name and registration ID, she points it out to the person behind the desk.

Tina - This one, right here. That's me.

Volunteer - Ok ma'am. Here's your badge. Please proceed to the participant waiting area.

Tina - Thank you sir. Sir, if you could do me a favour... Could you please put in a request to the organizers to put my name at the end of the list? My son wants to watch my performance and without the guarantee that he'll get to see it, he refuses to go to school.