Part 2

I spent most of the afternoon teaching Venetia a new song I'd discovered on the piano and by the time we had finished, it was nearly time for supper. I called Anne as I went up the stairs and she quickly appeared at the top, waiting for me.

"I took care in running a hot bath for you m'lady."

"Thank you. "

She followed me to my room and brought me my clothes before leaving me to bathe. I slowly got inside the bath, letting my body absorb all the warmth from the water. Then, I let my head fall back and let my body relax. All was silent except for the pitter-patter of the rain which was staring to pour again. I closed my eyes and as I was about to drift off into a peaceful slumber, the door flew open.

Shocked, I opened my eyes and sat up, covering myself. My head shot towards the door where Harry stood, his jaw open and his cheeks flushed.

"Oh Lord!" Harry gasped, his face half-shocked, half-surprised. "I am so sorry! I just left my coat--"

"You have a way with timing, don't you?" I replied still in shock. His expression softened before he averted his gaze away from my barely-covered self. He stretched his arm and grabbed the coat in his hand.

"A thousand apologies m'lady."he added before fleeing the room. After that, I could not help but smile.

Once I had finished bathing, I rang for Anne to come help me get dressed and comb my hair. Then, I went down for supper. Both my aunts and my cousins were already at the dining hall. As I walked to my chair, I could see Titania watching my every move from the corner of my eye. For someone who had so much pride about her, she seemed to be paying extra attention to me. Harry entered the room soon after and I could feel my heart picking up its pace after the rather interesting encounter we'd had in my room earlier. I tried my best to hide the smile on my face. Titania quickly waved him over to sit next to her and he silently obliged. I did feel a pang of jealousy at that moment but I quickly brushed it off. After all, I was more than used to Titania getting all the attention.

Over dinner, everyone engaged in conversation.

"Tell us of your esate Lord Brooker." mother said.

"Yes, my estate... which one?" he asked jokingly as he glanced at me. I quickly rolled my eyes. If he was trying to impress me, boasting about his possessions was not going to get him anywhere.

"Ooh, you have more than one?" Titania asked as she inched closer to him and flashed him one of her winning smiles.

"Yes, I do but I mostly reside in my mansion overlooking Loch Katrine. I find it very peaceful there."

"That sounds enchanting." Mother remarked.

"You simply must take me sometime." Titania interrupted. Harry did not reply.

"So are you taking part in the season this year?"

"Yes, I am." he replied.

"Oh really? Did any of these fine ladies catch your eye?" asked Aunt Lily joining the talk. Harry blushed.

"They are all very agreeable." he said as he looked down at his lap.

"And you are quite a handsome gentleman yourself..." Aunt Lily added.

"Thank you."

"All the Atherton ladies will be joining the season this year. "

"All of them?" he asked and I caught him looking my way.

"Yes. Is it not exciting?" Titania said as she bit her lip and placed her hand on his arm. He immediately seemed to recoil at her touch.

"Uh... yes. Exciting indeed." he began. "I must take this opportunity to thank you Lord and Lady Atherton for your amiable hospitality. It has been a most comforting visit but I believe I must return to my estate before the commencement of the season."

"Must you really leave so soon?" whined Titania. I found myself surprised to hear her pose the question I so desperately wanted to ask at that moment.

"It was our pleasure to host you Lord Brooker." Father said.

"I fear I had better be off while the rain seems to have stopped."

"What about your horse my Lord?" I asked which instantly grabbed everyone's attention.

"My mare is not yet in a condition fit for travelling. I fear I must leave it behind for the time being." he said addressing me directly. "Please look after it. It means so much to me and my mind will be at rest to know you will be keeping an eye on it."

"As you wish."

He then stood up and excused himself. We all followed him to the main entrance and watched as he climbed inside the carriage and left. As we walked back inside the mansion, I could not help but feel somewhat upset for his premature departure. My thoughts then moved to his presence; the way he stood tall as if the world was in the palm of his hands yet his stance offered comfort and humility just the same, the way his dark brown eyes made my heart race with every simple glance and his lips with --

My thoughts were interrupted as another carriage rattled on the road nearby. Everyone rushed to the windows to observe who had come about.

"They're here! They're here!" Venetia squealed as she hurried past me and out of the mansion.

"What is...?" I mumbled and within a few seconds, mother, my aunts and Titania hurried into the foyer.

"The dresses!" Venetia squealed and I instantly lost interest. It was very disappointing to get so hyped over an arrival and find out that it is actually another delivery of flamboyant fabrics, handwoven parasols, gloves made if satin and jewels and gems.

"Out of my way!" Titania ordered as she weaved her way through the number if servants who had heard the carriage arriving and were curious to see what was going on. Three footmen unloaded trunks from the carriage and carried them inside one-by-one.

"Careful with those! My Burgandian dresses are in there and they better not be ruined!" Titania stated as she followed the poor men into the drawing room as though she were a bee chasing the hive.

"What a dramaturgic lass..."

"I pity the man who will end beneath her clutches--"

"Enough talk!" said mother as she silenced the servants' gossip about Titania before it got to Aunt Heather. "Go continue your duties."

I watched as the servants scattered in different directions as they resumed their assigned tasks. Then, I followed the others into the drawing room.

Titania was there holding up a yellow dress to her figure while her mother inspected the fit on a pair of new gloves.

"Oh, 'tis perfect! All the men will want a dance and maybe even something more..."

"You will be the catch of the season darling." Aunt Heather said as she admired her daughter's dress. "No man shall be able to keep his eyes off you."

"Mama, my feathered pouch is here!" Venetia shrieked as she knelt beside her trunk and took out a small purple pouch.

"It is wonderful dear." Aunt Lily said as she neared her daughter to see what else had arrived.

"What about you... Juliana? Will you not show us your new dresses?" Titania said as she put the yellow dress down.

"I would rather like to keep them a surprise for when the season actually begins." I replied confidently.

"Oh dear. What a surprise it will be... Juliana prancing around in her usual white gowns making her seem even more like the ghost she is. I daresay no-one will even notice her." she laughed and Aunt Heather joined in. Her intention was to humiliate me in my own home. But I had more pride than she thought and refused to shed even a single tear in her presence.

"We shall see then." I simply remarked before leaving the room. I heard mother coming after me as I rushed upstairs.

"Juliana! Juliana wait!"

" What is it?" I said trying my best to hold back the tears in my eyes.

"Forgive me. Had I known they would treat you as such I would not have dreamed of inviting them."

"Do not fret mother. I am alright." I said as I turned and continued my way to the comfort of my room.