Part 13

I stared at my reflection in the mirror as Anne laced up the back of my dress. This dress was unlike any other I had ever worn. It was simple and had the fit of an evening glove. The neck was square leading to a puff sleeve. It was white all over with gold detail tracing the bodice all the way down to the skirt. My hair was pinned up with a silver pin, that allowed a few strands of my auburn hair to hang loosely at the sides of my face. Aunt Heather had also insisted on painting my lips a bright red shade and had given me a pair of diamond droplet earrings to wear.

One Anne had finished, I made my way down to the foyer. Before I could go down, the chimes of our hallway clock were heard marking fifteen minutes to six which was when the carriage would arrive. I quickly put on my long, satin, white gloves. Then, slowly making sure not to trip on the skirt, I descended down the stairs to find my aunts, mother and Venetia waiting for me.

"Oh Juli!" Mother gasped as she started tearing up.

"Mama..." I said with a small smile before descending the final few steps.

"Take this..." Aunt Heather said as she handed me a beautiful white fan that matched my outfit. Steps were heard coming from the kitchen and from the corner of my eye, I spotted Titania walking towards us. Upon noticing this, Aunt Heather clenched her jaw and walked closer to me.

"Now that is what a future sovereign looks like." she announced loudly, obviously directing her words cruelly at Titania. 

"I really do not think--"

"Do not think what, my dear? Do not think the Prince will make you an offer?" Aunt Heather interrupted as she pressed me close to her.

"You really think he might?" Mother asked curiously.

"He certainly will. I daresay after tonight it will be rather confirmed."

"How could you be so sure?" Venetia enquired curiously.

"Tonight he will not only introduce Juliana to his Majesty and her Royal Highness, but he will make a public appearance at the opera with her.  People will talk about you Juliana and so will everyone at court."

As soon as the carriage arrived, Anne helped me put on my coat before going out and riding in the carriage. To say I was nervous was an understatement. I spent the entire ride to the opera house fidgeting with my gloves and trying to calm myself down. Looking out at the streets of London, I could spot several people, both old and young, begging for food on the pavements. I felt deeply sorry for them. Nobody deserved to live as such. I had been most fortunate to have been born in a noble family but not everyone could boast having similar luck.

After a short ride, we had arrived and as I was helped down the carriage I could not help but notice a crowd of gentlemen and ladies all dressed in their finest clothes waiting to enter the building. 

"Lady Juliana!" I heard someone call from my right. Glancing over I spotted Prince Edward hurrying towards me. He was dressed in one of his royal uniforms with a golden sash worn across.

"Your highness..."

"You look wonderful m'lady. White suits you very nicely."he complimented. Then he took my right hand before planting a gentle kiss on my knuckles. I could feel the eyes of the people crowding around us following our every movement.

"Thank you." I said as I could feel myself blushing.

"Shall we?" he asked me as he offered me his arm. I slowly put my arm around his before he led me inside.

As we walked up the stairs to the royal box, I could feel myself growing anxious. Meeting the King and Queen certainly put a lot of pressure on me.

"Is everything alright?" the Prince asked, becoming aware of my feelings.

"Only a bit nervous." I admitted.

"Look at me Juliana." he said, which instantly pulled my gaze to meet his. "You are as accomplished and as well-bred as any lady can hope to be. I can assure you that both my parents will grow to appreciate you just as I have." he said as his hand never left mine. I gave him a reassuring smile before we walked into the theatre. 

The opera house was marvellous. The stage was grand and was positioned right in front of us. The boxes were all symmetrically positioned and were decorated with golden angels playing instruments. A huge, crystal chandelier hung from the ceiling. A red velvet curtain hid the stage and one could also see the orchestra getting ready for the spectacle down in the pit.

"Mother, father, may I present Lady Juliana Atherton."

The man and woman who were already sat at the very front of the royal box turned their heads to look our way.

"Oh Edward! How nice of you to join us." the Queen began as she got up from her seat. She was wearing a blue gown and a sparkly tiara. Her face very much resembled that of her son. "Lady Juliana... what a pleasure to meet you."

"The pleasure is mine your highness..." I said before dropping into a curtsey. "...and you your majesty."

"Please do join us." the King said before Prince Edward led me to one of the seats. "The Prince tells me you are Lord Paul Atherton's daughter."

"Aye, I am."

"Your father has always served us well." the Queen added. "From what I hear you are a very well-bred lady."

"Uh depends on what qualities you consider to comprise a lady of the sort." I replied.

"Well, you can read and write. I hear you find great pleasure in literature as well as music. Do you speak any languages apart from English?"

"Yes your highness. French and a little German." I admitted.

"There you go. Very few women in England can boast to having such an education and what is more, the Prince tells us you are a woman of dignity and fine character." the Queen continued.

Suddenly applause filled the room as the curtains opened to reveal the stage all set up for the show. Three sopranos entered, all three in costume and as soon as the first notes started playing they began to sing. As the room was filled with their voices harmonising, I felt shivers ripple all over my body.

"Do you like it?" the Prince whispered as he leaned in close and squeezed my hand.

"Very much." I responded with a sweet smile before we continued to watch the show.