Part 3

"Let me see..." said mother as she carefully examined how the dress fitted me. Anne backed away as she pierced the needle in her hand into her needle cushion. "I think it fits you splendidly."

"I think so too." Anne added. I gave both of them a warm smile before descending from the stool I was currently standing on.

"Right. Now put on the earrings I have set out for you and I will see you downstairs soon. The carriages are waiting so try not to be long." I simply nodded as mother walked out of the room, shutting the door behind her.

Anne prepared my cape while I quickly put on a pair of gold droplet earrings. She then helped me put on the cape and I was off. As I walked down the candle-lit hallway, I briefly caught my reflection in one of the mirrors as I passed by. I slowly turned back to look at my appearance. My hair was all pinned up in contrast to how I usually wear it down and for once I was not wearing white but instead had a maya blue dress on. Looking in the mirror, I barely felt like I was myself and unwillingly my mind wondered whether Harry would even recognise me.

"Juliana! Are you ready dear?" I heard mother calling from downstairs. Not wishing to keep everyone waiting,  I proceeded to going down to the foyer.
Mother was waiting for me next to father who stood tall in his coat. I had rarely ever seen him so well-groomed in my life.

"Shall we?" he asked as he held out his arm.

"Why of course dear father..." I giggled.

"You know... you look every bit your mother tonight.  You have grown to be so beautiful just like her." he whispered and I was left in awe at how much they still loved each other.

Our hushed conversation was interrupted as we heard a few sobs coming from mother.

"What is the matter?" I asked suddenly, quickly rushing to her and hugging her. She quickly took off one of her gloves and wiped her cheeks.

"I just cannot believe you are already going to your first ball! Seems like it was only yesterday I found out I was going to have a baby and now look... oh, you are all grown up." she muttered.

"No matter how old I grow, I will always be your baby girl." I smiled.

"Of course. " she said, quickly composing herself. "Now, we have no time to waste. Off we go."

As we walked out into the chilly evening air, I noticed that my aunts and cousins had already settled inside their carriage. Father helped mother up and then me before getting inside himself and shutting the door.

A little while later, we had arrived at Inverness Castle. Once we had descended from the carriage, I looked around at the various decoration. I had heard of the extravagancy of the season balls yet I had never envisioned such a flamboyant atmosphere.  The entrance was lit with flaming torches that reflected in sparkles onto the river. Embroidered banners were hung from every window and balcony and guards were perfectly lined at every door.

"Let us go inside." Father suggested as he put mother's arm around his and made for the door. I followed them through the gates. The majestic halls were crowded with ladies and lords all chatting excitedly about the commencement of the season.

"Oh there you are Juliana!" squealed someone from behind me. I turned my head to see Venetia chasing after me through the crowd.

"Where are Aunt Lily, Aunt Heather and Titania?"

"I lost them in the crowds..."

"It's fine. You can enter the ball with me." I said as I took her hand and weaved a path through the crowd. Once we were at the entrance of the ballroom, father gave our names to one of the page boys.

"Lord Atherton, Baron of Scone and Baroness Atherton of Scone with their daughter Juliana of Scone and neice, Venetia of Keith." the page announced as we entered.

"Let's go find something to eat." whispered Venetia as soon as we were inside and before I could answer her, she had grabbed my hand and started pulling me to one of the banquet tables. The feasting table was a sight to behold. Food overflowed every plate and all was decorated in the finest way. The selection was endless... from baked mallard to boiled asparagus and cod.

"Oh look! They have berry and honey pie!" Venetia squealed as she hurried to the dessert assortment. However, before I could join her, the sound of bugles filled the room and the announcement for the introduction if the maidens was made. Ven and I quickly sought out our parents through the crowd before we were lined up for the introduction.

The King soon entered the room and announced that the first dance of the season shall be granted to his son and a lady of his choosing. Complete silence filled the room as the prince was introduced to each lady, one by one. Arriving at Titania and Aunt Heather's post  he decided to make a request for the first dance to which Titania could not help but boast to the other candidates as he led her to the centre of the ballroom. We watched as she danced with the prince, dramatically twirling and spinning to show off her ballgown's full red skirt. Luckily, the dance was soon over and now, many gentlemen were approaching ladies who caught their eye and requesting to dance.

"Baron, Baroness.  May I request a dance with your daughter?" I turned to see who was asking to dance with me and was greeted by a freckled face and warm smile.

"Why yes young man." my father replied. "Pray, what do they call you?"

"I am Lord Sawyer of Ross."

"I am pleased to make your acquaintance Lord Sawyer." I said, cutting into the conversation.

"Would you care to dance my lady?"

"I would." He gently took my hand and guided me to the centre of the ballroom where other couples were already dancing. Lord Sawyer was slightly shorter than me yet he was very light on his feet.

"Are you enjoying yourself, m'lady?" he asked politely as we continued to perform the dance.

"Yes. You have a talent for dancing."

"You do too."

"I believe 'tis your first season?" he asked, finally meeting my eyes.

"Aye, it is. Does my lack of experience give it away?"

"No, no. You and your cousins were the topic of much conversation heading into this season. I have heard so much about you, I just knew I had to try my luck and request a dance with you."

"Yes." I sighed, feeling my cheeks blush. I swiftly glanced over Lord Sawyer 's shoulder to spot the man I had been hoping to see all night regarding me from the sidelines. The very sight of Harry hitched a breath in my throat causing me to choke momentarily.

Lord Sawyer released his hold on me in shock and quickly led me off the dance floor to the nearest vacant chair. After fetching me a glass of water and making sure I was feeling well again, he asked me for a second dance. Although a part of me wished I would get the chance to at least converse with Harry, I simply obliged after he had shown such kindness and fondness towards me.

The music had only just started and we had barely been dancing for a minute when I felt a tap on my shoulder.

"Gentle lord, may I cut in?"