Show me the Way (A SHINee Fanfic) Boys are Stupid, No Exception

Noon wouldn’t come around for another half hour but JaeHwa was already rushing to the agreed post to get an early start. She wanted to reserve the seat so she could have her meeting. As she ran she balanced a sketch pad and her school bag, a pen stuck out of her sloppy bun as she had forgotten to set her alarm that morning and hadn’t had time to arrange herself. At least this way she’d gotten to see who her new roommates were (and determined that they were complete strangers and she would be ostracized since it wasn’t in her manner to approach people she didn’t know).

            Thankfully as she approached the bench she saw a pair of girls leaving, allowing her the whole stone bench to use as her office.

            “Aish,” she mumbled as her bag dropped and she tripped on the strap. Her landing was ungraceful as ever but she reached the bench in time. No one would be able to claim it until she left it.

            Crossing her legs at the ankle, JaeHwa laid out her messenger bag and fixed the ribbon around her collar. The pen slipped out of her hair without her knowledge and fell to the ground; a little splash of pink and white on the lush plains of grass the private school maintained.

            Already with a pencil in hand, however, the girl began sketching out the table of the booth, wondering how she could decorate it to make it appealing and informing. It wasn’t hard to mess up a kissing booth but if she didn’t get it spot on Mr. Park would scold her and force her to stay in class until it was perfect. Something she did not want – at all.

            Who knew how much time had passed, but JaeHwa had been staring at her boxy table long enough to allow her thoughts to stray to something else.

            He had nice hair… Onew… And apparently he wielded the power to shut up that dog JongHyun which made her smile all over again. He’d been so stunned… And when he’d laughed it was like a tinkling bell that made her shiver all over. How great…

            “Earth to alien space girl,” a bored voice suddenly rang to ruin her moment.

            JaeHwa lifted her gaze to find the blonde boy who’d been forced into helping her. At the sight she felt her face widen with a larger smile, scooting over to make room for him. “Hello,” she greeted quietly.

            A pout pulled at his lips but he sat down without complaint, craning his neck to see what JaeHwa had accomplished thus far.

            “Uh, where… Um, where is everyone else?” the girl asked, blushing at their close proximity. A quiver settled in her hands, turning the pencil she held from a metronome to a twitchy stick.

            JongHyun backed up an inch, thinking over something in his head. “Ah, MinHo said he was going to be a little late since he had to help Onew hyung with something… I think they’re coming together,” he answered. Suddenly, his finger slammed down onto something on the drawing. “Yah, is our booth a box or something?”

            “O-Onew is coming?” JaeHwa squeaked, fingers working double time to shake as the words came out.

            She should have kept her mouth shut as JongHyun gave her an odd look. With his finger still perched on the paper he leaned in dangerously close and slit his eyes. “Yes, is that a problem?” he asked, though his tone sounded menacing rather than angry.

            The girl quickly broke their eye contact, whipping her head around to stare at the flowers hugging the base of the tree. She traced the lines on the bark, observed an ant colony creeping up the branches and leaves and finally ceased her nervous observations on her hands which looked like they were made of paper and permanently caught in the path of a fan’s air. Somewhere in her chest a pain pinched her heart and she rubbed circles with the hell of her palm on her breast bone. Had she taken her medication that morning…?