[002] green springs, blue strings, a red book

Liu Xuan died of heartbreak. That was the last thing she remembered. She might have been being dramatic, but she literally had a stress-induced heart attack.

From what?

Her husband, Feng Zi Yu, had been spending more and more time at work. The company invested in several business ventures that needed his personal monitoring, and obviously his secretary would also be closely involved. But she had been certain that the long nights at the office were more than just planning committees.

In the end, she had been so obsessed with scheming and guarding against Ru Xi that she had delivered Zi Yu straight to Lei Ru Xi's arms! Every move on her part only seemed to strengthen their bond, pushing her further and further out of the picture.

Her shrewish behavior disgusted Feng Zi Yu so much that he started to come home less and less, preferring to remain at an old bachelor pad he owned. She would try to bridge the distance by cooking all his favorite food for him. She had memorized each recipe by heart. She would practice cooking them over and over again until her hands were pink and raw from the repeated chopping, scooping, and seasoning motions.

Every time she delivered those handmade meals, it sat outside his door because he refused to let her in. In the end, she knew he never ate it. The dishes would still be there when she made her next delivery. The sight of those dishes untouched started to chip at her determination. At that point, they had been married for six years. She had not managed to squeeze a single tear from the rock.

She knew the only reason he hadn't divorced her was respect for the face of her brother. They had served together and risked life and death for each other. Lei Ru Xi, however, became an indispensable moonlight in his heart. She was clever, could find a neat solution and always had perfect timing, anticipating his needs. She was beautiful and pure, like a white lotus that floated softly in a still lake. Over time, her place in his heart grew to such an extent that he would only tolerate her presence, any other female was ignored.

Even her, the legal wife.

The day she died was the day she became certain he would never look at her. She had gone to deliver a new dish, with the smallest hope still burning that he might try it and grace her with a smile. That day, she witnessed a passionate love embrace between her husband and his secretary, his lips on hers, their eyes closed in ecstacy. There was not a single millimeter of space separating them. Lei Ru Xi was flush against Feng Zi Yu, and he held her waist, still trying to get closer to her.

Liu Xuan must have made some sound because they separated, Lei Ru Xi shoving him away. She looked at Liu Xuan in horror and guilt but Feng Zi Yu, even to this moment looked at her with indifference. No scorn, guilt, or pity. Just eyes regarding a being unrelated to him.

Those eyes hurt the most. She did not allow Lei Ru Xi to continue stammering excuses. She decisively turned away from them and walked away, the forgotten dish clenched tightly in her hands. Her fingertips tingled, her entire left arm was electric with pain; it felt like her very blood was boiling inside her. Her eyes burned. The most awful headache in her life formed at her temples. The world turned sideways and the last thing she saw was old Butler Zheng running to her, panic on his face.

Liu Xuan died that night. She woke up four years younger.

She confirmed it with her phone when her possessions were returned to her by XiXi. She contacted everyone of importance to let them know about her accident. And like four years ago, the only person who asked after her health was her father.

It didn't bother her, although it had the first time she has gone through this. There was a hope in her heart then. Maybe her husband would hear about the accident and worry for her. Maybe he would even visit her while she was unconscious and be moved by her weak appearance. But reality didn't betray her memories. What a fool she had been.

Her fingers tapped continuously on the phone screen, the black crystal unresponsive to her fidgeting. She had been awake for a day now, and in the hospital for a total of three days. If her memory served her correctly, she would be receiving the news today.

It was time to start straying from the script.