[003] A play. A clown. A tragedy?

Right on cue, the door slid open. A male doctor walked in, followed closely by Gao Xixi. Xixi quickly assured her that it was a routine follow up to update her on her accident assessment. Liu Xuan nodded and regarded the doctor with polite attention.

"Mrs. Feng, it's nice to meet you. I am Dr. Luo. It appears that your broken leg is healing well. There is a light concussion that will require some monitoring. It normally isn't a concern, but we want to prepare for any complications because you were unconscious for two days."

Dr. Luo paused, hesitant. Gao Xixi's lips pursed, uncomfortable.

Liu Xuan twisted the blanket underneath her hands, knowing what was to come next. Her eyes were dull without interest but she waited for Dr. Luo to continue.

"Mrs. Feng, I regret to inform you that there was another major result from the accident. Your uterus suffered trauma, and your fetus was affected. It did not survive."

"My fetus?"

Liu Xuan felt her voice echo through murky waters rushing in her ears. A familiar feeling of sorrow and inexplicable loss enveloped her, just as intense as the first time she heard the news. Her hand went to her navel, pressing as if in search.

"Yes, Mrs. Feng, your blood tests indicated you were about four weeks pregnant at the time of the accident," Dr. Luo patiently responded. He regarded her with sympathetic eyes and Gao Xixi moved forward to offer her a cup of water. Shi Sheng mindlessly thanked her, her mouth on autopilot as she retreated into herself.

"She was pregnant?!" An exclamation came from the entrance. Everyone turned.

Dr. Luo frowned. "Please lower your voice. The patient should not be stressed while she is recuperating." The woman at the door gave a small "hmph" under her breath but outwardly nodded in understanding.

"Excuse me, who are you?" Gao Xixi asked, not recognizing the new visitor. She looked matronly and was clothed in luxurious native brands. Mrs. Feng hadn't had any visitors during her stay up until this point and her emergency contact was her husband.

Feng An Lin straightened out some nonexistent crinkles in her long skirt and primly replied, "I am the patient's mother-in-law. I recently heard about her accident and rushed here as quickly as I could. Xiao Yu is too busy with company matters to come but he sends his well wishes."

Liu Xuan took a sip of water to hide her sardonic smile. When Feng Zi Yu heard the news that his wife had gotten into an accident that had lost him his unborn child, he had coldly continued to strategize about the company's announcement of a merger with a pastry conglomerate. His only acknowledgement of the news had been a tightening around his eyebrows before he ordered a change in the flyer font. Any well wishes mentioned were a polite lie for outsiders.

After Feng An Lin briefly discussed care details with Dr. Luo and Gao Xixi, they left to give the family some privacy. Liu Xuan took another sip of water, waiting for the play to begin.

"I hope you aren't too upset we couldn't visit you earlier. Xiao Yu is really stressed about business at the company and doesn't even have time to come home to sleep. Please don't blame him for not coming." Feng An Lin's voice was falsely concerned, playing a worried mother to a perfect form. Only her face couldn't twist to the correct expressions, arrogantly displaying a lack of remorse instead.

Liu Xuan smiled and shook her head, replying, "How could I blame mother in law or Zi Yu? The family has important matters and I was not injured too badly. Please don't mind it. I am grateful you came to see me today."

Feng An Lin's brow bone twitched. She was genuinely surprised at her hotheaded daughter in law's unusually calm response. Normally she would be whining for Feng Xi Yu to drop all matters at the company to come see her immediately, demanding an apology for his absence. She hmphed in her heart again.

Liu Xuan mentioning her injuries was a perfect lead for her mother in law's next question.

"Did you know you were pregnant? How could you drive so recklessly! That little baby would have finally given our Feng family an heir! You have been married for so long without results and you destroy your first sign of success!" Feng An Lin didn't bother to hide her contempt for Bei Shi Sheng here.

This little idiot had insisted on marrying her only son, even forcing an interview between their families and shaming her elders with her manic and willful attitude. Yet in the two years they had been married, Zi Yu hadn't shown any attraction to her! It was a miracle they could even conceive and she threw it away!

Liu Xuan bowed her upper body to a strict 45 degree. "I am sorry for failing to protect my child."

It truly was her fault. She had gotten into this accident by trying to rush to the company to stop Zi Yu from accepting Ru Xi as his secretary. Previously, they had been schoolmates and nothing more. Shi Sheng couldn't tolerate even that kind of connection between a female and Zi Yu.

But as a consequence, she lost her only chance at motherhood.

Feng An Lin frowned in displeasure. "A Xuan, this might be a sign of fate. It has been so long, yet nothing has bloomed. A forced melon will never be sweet."

Liu Xuan nodded. Mrs. Feng was not the type to demand a divorce from a daughter in law she deemed unfit. She was the type to make the daughter in law choose of her own accord to leave the family. It was much less messy this way, and no blame could be cast on Mrs. Feng.

"Yes mother, I understand. I believe it is the best choice if I break this string of fate, lest more misfortune arrives." Liu Xuan spoke naturally, calmly. There was no distress in her manners, which unnerved Mrs. Feng. But the news that Liu Xuan had finally given in overpowered the discomfort Feng An Lin felt.

"Are you sure?" She had to make sure this chit wouldn't change her mind at the last second, embarrassing her. Liu Xuan nodded, her eyes never leaving Mrs. Feng's. Mrs. Feng gently smiled in fake sorrow. "It is unfortunate, but I will discuss with Xiao Yu and see if he agrees. It is only right to make sure both sides do not feel wrongly about this."

"No need. I agree."

A deep male voice interrupted the two and they both looked at the door. He stood in the entrance at 1.93 m, early 30s, short black hair slicked back and devastatingly handsome in a dark blue Gucci suit. His charming slanted eyes took in the room before they glanced over at Liu Xuan's figure on the bed. Liu Xuan avoided his gaze, lowering her head and turning to look out the window at the barren tree branch. She took a sip of water. What was he doing here?

Mrs. Feng's entire face beamed at Zi Yu's arrival and she quickly ushered him in. "Xiao Yu, a divorce is a serious matter. Will you really have no rejection?" Her eyes practically screamed at him quickly say no!

Feng Zi Yu shook his head neither slowly or quickly, his eyes still on Liu Xuan. Liu Xuan almost smiled again, but instead she turned her head to look at Mrs. Feng.

"How soon can we sign the papers?" She asked quietly.

Mrs. Feng coughed. "We can start the paperwork now but let's worry about finalizing everything after you've fully recovered! You shouldn't be stressed!" With a quick goodbye, Mrs. Feng left to contact the family lawyers to draft an ironclad divorce agreement. She waited briefly for Feng Zi Yu to exit with her but he shook his head, indicating he still wished to speak with his wife.

Mrs. Feng frowned, but she still left. Feng Zi Yu stared at Liu Xuan. She didn't return his gaze, her eyes shifting to look outside the window.

"What are you planning."

———-
Happy holidays!! ❤️