Am I missing something?

Fred and I walk into the office trailer of the site and see both our boys sitting there tossing a ball around. "Oh, how was your first day back?" Jughead asks me with a small grin. "Oh, it was great." I say my mind running elsewhere. Like Melody for instance. She doesn't know that I've taken a new job. She doesn't even know I've been thinking about her day and night, regretting telling her we didn't belong together.

"Your dad is the hardest-working guy on the crew, as always." Fred laughs patting me on the back. "Oh, in that case, why don't we celebrate to mark the occasion?" " Yeah, Juggy and I were thinking the four of us could have dinner or something."
Fred looks at the boys. "Uh, tonight? I don't know." I shrug looking at my old time friend. "I'm game if you're game. On me." Fred nods and we all soon drive down to the local diner.

"Anyway We spent the whole summer fixing up that old VW bus. Yeah. Remember what we called it, Fred?" "The Shaggin' Wagon." We say in unison laughing. "This was before your dad had game. Senior Year, he started a band, and then the girls were all over him." I explain to the boys laughing in the memory.
"We were awful." Fred says. "Yeah, yeah, we were."  "You know, your dad was what is commonly known as a BMOC, Jughead." I roll my eyes with a grin. "Come on. The hell I was." I watch as a familiar red car pulls in the parking lot and I get caught up in a smile.

"He single-handedly defeated our arch-rivals, the Baxter High Ravens." Fred says making me come back from my trance. "He doesn't care about that stuff, Fred. Football, sports. Takes after his mom in that respect, and I mean that as a compliment. I'd rather see you spending your time writing, thinking up stories, you still do that? Nose in a book? Typing away?" My son nods but doesn't say much else.

"Yeah, yeah, Jughead works on the school paper with Betty." Archie speaks perking my interest.
"Betty? - Ooh. Who is Betty? Is that your girlfriend?" Jug shoots the subject down. "I wanna know more about the band. What was the name of the band?" I laugh remembering. "Ah, yeah. It was called The Fred Heads." Fred says ashamed.

The door chimes and I see Melody walk in. I wave to her sending her a small smile her way. She looks away shuffling to the back. "Who is that?" Fred asks looking at me confused. "Melody. She moved into town about a month ago." This catches Fred's attention and he turns around faster than spreading flames. He stands up just staring at her. "You okay Fred?" My eyes wander to Melody behind the counter putting her things away when she freezes at the sight of Fred.

Am I missing something?

"Melody." Fred says in a cracking voice. Her eyes dart from me to Fred with shock and worry written on her face. She walks closer slowly. Her steps becoming more unstable as she nears. She gets close to Fred and suddenly tears fall from her eyes. I almost stand wanting to protect her, but her words stop me completely. "Dad." Fred grabs her holding her close and crying as well.

Oh shit...

I turn to Archie watching him smile. "You have a sister?" He nods standing up and joining his family. "Don't you remember dad? Archie's Mom kicked her out. She went missing for a long time." Jughead explains to me. "Oh fuck." I do remember! Shit Jugs mom use to take him over to play with them when they were all younger.

Fred pulls away and leads Melody over. "FP, this is my daughter Melody. I don't know if you remember." I look at the women I have come to know and care for in the weeks since she arrived. I planned to find her and tell her it was a mistake letting her walk away. I guess this makes things more complicated.

"Yeah. We actually met when I got into town. It's good to see you again." I nod still shocked to the bone. "How'd you meet?" Fred asks confused. "Um. I wanted a drink. Found a bar on the South Side. FP kept me company." Melody stumbles on her words. She makes eye contact with me. Her eyes searching for something.

"I-I have to work, but I should be getting off around 12. o'clock." Melody speaks looking at me. "Do you want to come home?" Archie asks staying by his sister's side. "Um, I can't tonight-" "No. Melody you have to. You can't just wait to explain yourself. Please come home. Please darling." Melody shakes her head. "I'm not going anywhere near Mary." Archie looks down showing sorrow. "She's not here anymore. She moved to Chicago." Melody smiles slightly. She nods peeking her eyes at me every so often. "Oh, well then I guess I will come by."

Pop comes up from the back smiling. "No worries for you tonight Mel. Go on home." Melody can't hide her smile as she thanks Pops. "You want to ride with me Arch? Jug?" They both nod and move to get out of the booth. Melody gives me one last look containing a trapped box of emotions. The three walk out the door leaving me and Fred alone. He grabs the bill as I sit in shock. Fred places his hand on my should bringing me out of my trace. "You coming, man?" I nod and follow him out. Great. Plenty of time to talk when I'll be in her house.

My phone buzzes and I look down to see what it is. 'We need to talk' - Mel

I rub my eyes sighing. "Shit."