Moving Home

I roll over cuddling close to FP's chest. He stirs, opening his eyes and gazes down at me. "Oh, shit." I sit up looking at him. "What?" He smiles and cups my cheek. He attaches out lips and holds me close as we forget the world around us.

"I thought I was dreaming." FP grumbles and cuddles back into the bed with me. I reach for my phone and see several texts from Archie. "Whoa, wait. Wait." I sit up reading them.

*Missed call from Archie (Brother of Mine)*

"Mel, where are you?"

"I need your help. Jughead is being questioned by the police!

*Missed call from Archie (Brother of Mine)*

"MELODY!"

I unlock my phone and play his voicemail. "Melody. Jud just got taken by the cops. We can't find FP. Where are you? Get her as fast as you can. Dad's on his way." I look at FP as his eyes grow with worry about his son. "Fuck." He races to get dressed and searches for his phone. "Dead. Of course!" He scoffs, throwing his hands in his hair. His eyes rimmed with tears.

He shakes his head, "I can't find my fucking keys."

I grab his shoulders forcing him to look at me. "Hey, it's okay, I'll drive you."

The entire drive over FP was shaking and wiping his eyes. "They'll throw him in there for nothing. Just like me. Fucking pigs." he yells as I stay quiet. He looks in my direction and places his hand on my thigh. "I'm sorry, Melody." "For what? Being rightfully mad? I'd love to kick a cop's ass for even being suspicious of Jug!"

We pull into the parking lot right on time as they take their first step out the door. FP jumps out and rushes to them as I put the car into park and raced to them as FP explains himself. "My phone, the freaking battery. I forgot to plug it in last night." I run around the wall and catch all their eyes. "Melody. Where have you been?" My dad asks. Shit. This isn't about me Fred!

"I... uh. I was unpacking and my phone was on silent."

"What the hell happened?" FP asks his son, but only for Jug to push past him. "Nothing. It's fine now. Mr. Andrews took care of it."

"What crap did they accuse you of in there, huh? Those bastards trying to throw you in jail like they did your old man? Well, screw that!" FP starts to make his way towards the steps. I try and grasp his sleeve, but the fabric slips through my fingers. "I'll rip Keller a new one for trying to pull that on you!" Fred steps in front of him and holds him back. "FP, settle down." FP pushes away in a heat. "Hey! Hey! He's my son. He is my son, Fred! You'd do the same for your boy." FP moves to take a step to the door but Jughead stops him this time. "Dad. Don't make things worse. Please." I bite my lip as I watch them. FP's eyes glossy and sad as he agrees to his son's wishes.

He nods walking up to Jug with teary eyes. "Yeah, all right, then. You coming home with me?" FP starts to tread back to my car slowly as Archie calls to him, "He-- He can stay with us, Mr. Jones. We already offered." FP looks at me and then to the ground defeated. "Maybe that's for the best, if-- If you don't mind, Fred." My dad nods to him. "Whatever you want, FP."

He walks over to his son and places his hands on Jug's shoulders. "Son, listen to me. I'm gonna do what you want and get my act together, But I just need a little time to do that. Not a lot. Not long. A month, two at the most." Jug lets tears fall as his father's words fall flat. I can tell this has been an ongoing issue. Not that I couldn't read between the lines already.