Summary and Sneak Peek

*****Strange Magics 1.5: When the Stars Align— A transgender/demisexual/pansexual M/F romance short story. 

Things were sort of hinted at in The Warlord's Chosen, but now you get more of Hestiel's story. The sacrifices she made and the deals with devils she swore to keep her family safe. How she came to be all but ruling El'kahr even when her father was still alive. And why he hated her so freaking much (spoiler alert: it's 'cause she's pretty much always been a badass bitch). Even better, you get to meet the man who is her match in every conceivable way. The only human on Nefiir strong enough, and kind enough, brave enough, and badass enough to shadow, protect, and love a true-born queen. 

Theme songs: 

Hold My Heart, Lindsey Stirling & ZZ Ward

The In-Between, In This Moment

Enjoy this sneak peek, and if you want more— both the first and second chapters are up on my Patreon for y'all to enjoy! There are about 10 chapters total, 20kish words. I'll upload a chapter a week (as I can— we all know I tend to drop off the face of the earth for my mental health sometimes, but I do my best to keep my uploads regular :)), and will upload the first chapter here on Wattpad once I'm probably five chapters ahead on Patreon.

Enjoy <3

HESTIEL-

I had known about the evils of the adult world since before I should have been worrying about them. Had been in that world, diving in without thought to myself or what damage it would do to me, since I could form a coherent thought of my love for my family. To protect everyone I loved, I had fought and won against the worst kinds of monsters.

I had never thought to find myself an equal, a partner, someone I could share my life with. Someone who could understand the darknesses I had fought against, and empathize with the struggles I had faced my entire life. Someone who could sweep me, a woman who had never known the succor of another, off of her feet like some damsel in distress.

Gods, I had never thought to expect him.

ALEX-

I had loved her since I was too young to know who I truly was. Since I was young enough that my uniqueness made sense not even to myself. Since I first began to squirm and fidget in my own skin. I had loved her since she gave me the courage to be myself in a world that nearly destroyed me.

I finally found her, am finally by her side, and gods, she is glorious. As beautiful as I knew she would be, as steadfast and courageous as I had seen in her soul that fateful day I first saw her. She is everything I had hoped and prayed and longed for. Winning her hand, her trust, her soul, and her heart are my greatest ambitions.

Will it be easy? Gods, no. The woman is strength itself and has never opened her trust fully to another in her entire life. She is stubborn, unruly, powerful, bitter, and wholly blockaded to any and all romantic advances.

But dear gods, I am patient, and I know— I know it will be fucking worth it when she returns my smile and she is mine.

Chapter One: The Funeral 

Trigger warnings: corrective rape (not explained in detail but mentioned), gender and body dysphoria, purposeful misgendering, childhood physical abuse, mentioned pedophilia (damn Butcger isn't dead yet in the memories)

*The language of Redeb'ir is called Qunit. The majority of the book will be in El'kahrian, but if there's anything in Qunit, it will be italicized.*

Alexandra stood, watching in awe as the little girl across the room stood stoically, one arm wrapped around a bundle of blankets that squirmed just a little bit, enough for her to see that it was a babe. Only a few days old, at most, red faced and squishy-looking. The other arm slanted down to hold the hand of a little boy, only a few years younger than her, but much smaller.

The girl, Princess Hestiel, Alexandra had been told her name was, was Alexandra's age— eight-and-a-half— and her little brother, clinging to her as he cried big, wet tears of sorrow, was two years her junior. But the years showed in the way Princess Hestiel held her shoulders stiff, her back straight, her blue eyes as dry as the skin on her face, and the way she watched the funeral attendees around her with an air of quiet solemnity, almost distaste.

The girl was pretty, Alexandra noted with a little smile. She had long, dark black hair that would look more at home in Alexandra's home village, but in this mess of blonde, red, and light brown she stood out like a little black pearl in a sea of rusty diamonds. Her skin was golden, the color of parchment darkened in the sun, and her eyes were so blue they almost seemed to glow from within. She wore a court dress, black with a sash of purest mourning white, and Alexandra could see it fit her little body perfectly, fitted to her like a second skin. She looked comfortable in it, at peace, unlike Alexandra when she was forced to wear women's finery. Dresses were itchy, and hung heavy on her shoulders, as if they were made of stones. The skirts tangled around her feet, making her feel clumsy and dull.

But when she stole her cousin Adair's trousers and shirts, gods, she could fly. She could run through the fields outside the palace and just let her heart sing and her hair whip out behind her.

Only then was she free. Only then could she be herself, as much as she was able in her ill-fitting body.

"What the hell are you wearing, Alexandra?" Alexandra's mama hissed down at her in Qunit, their native language. Both Alexandra and her mama spoke El'kahrian, which was why they had been sent to El'kahr as representatives for Redeb'ir for the queen's funeral, but Alexandra's mama didn't like the language. She preferred her own, whenever she could get away with it.

"Don't be angry, Mama," Alexandra tried to soothe with a smile, but her mama's mouth was frozen in a thin line of frustration.

"The El'kahrians already see us as lesser, Alexi," she chastised, using Alexandra's childhood nickname that was only used now when she was caught doing something naughty. "Now what will they think, you wearing pants under your skirts? You look like a boy in a dress."

Alexandra's heart twisted a little in happiness at her mama's choice of words, but she forced her face to remain placid.

"I'm sorry, Mama," she replied, trying for contrite but knowing she failed when her mama rolled her eyes. "The skirts tickle my legs."

"Goddess Vunei save me from spoiled little girls."

Alexandra followed her mama as she led her to the El'kahrian king, who stood off a ways from his children, his face stoic and nearly angry. He kept glaring over at the little pile of children, but the princess never flinched, though her father's glare was heavy on her head. Then, just as Alexandra and her mama reached the king, he ignored them, seeming to not even notice they were there, huffing loudly and stomping over to his children.

In a voice under a breath, so quiet Alexandra could barely hear it, but fierce in its rage and hatred, the king growled down at his eldest daughter. "You're coddling him, girl. He's already enough of a fairy as it is, he doesn't need more weakness."

"He's my brother and the heir to the throne that you sit upon, Father. You will speak to him, and about him, with respect, or we will leave and you'll be left to explain our absence to our own mother's funeral to any who ask. Think on that as you choose your next words carefully."

......................................................

..... TO BE CONTINUED

*****That's it for now! Check back later, or check out my Patreon if you wanna read the full first two chapters :) ily!!*****