𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐧𝐞

• makes me feel like i can't live without you; i want you to stay •

★ ★ ★

The scarlet steam engine gradually started to slow down, causing Hermione to sigh in relief. She watched as the boys groaned, packing up their game of Wizards cards. 

"Hermione, you alright?" Harry asked, chuckling softly. The bushy headed girl flinched, snapping out of her prolonged daze. She hesitantly pulled a glare onto her face.

"Yeah, just fine." Hermione bluntly replied, gazing down at the book in her hands.

Harry nodded, eyeing the girl suspiciously as they continued to pack up their belongings.

"Well..." The redhead spoke up, breaking the awkward silence. "We're going to go change, be right back." With that she quickly grabbed Hermione's wrist, dragging her towards the bathrooms.

"What were you thinking?" Hermione hissed, yanking her wrist from Ginny's tight grip.

"I was thinking that you could at least put up an act. I mean, why do you hate Harry so much?! Just because he didn't ask you to a silly dance?"

"I hate him for other reasons..." She answered, grumbling to herself. "And besides,  I did put up an act."

"Must be awful at acting then." Ginny said, snickering under her breath. This caused Hermione to smile, laughing as well.

"Oh shut up."

"Never!" Ginny smirked, as they entered the bathrooms. Rapidly, they threw on their robes, exiting right after.

"Do I have to be nice to him?!" Hermione whined, smoothing out her pleated skirt.

"Yes..."

"Why?" She protested, slouching as they neared the compartment once more.

"Because, he's my brothers best friend, and besides, you fancy him." Ginny smugly retorted, opening the compartment.

Hermione sent a sharp glare towards her best friend, extremely bothered that she didn't get a chance to add a snarky remark. She instantly took a seat beside Harry, placing her head in her hands.

Ginny began to chuckle loudly, earning strange glances from the two boys. She wiggled her eyebrows up and down, humming softly to herself.

"Shut up." Hermione growled, furiously staring at her meddlesome best friend.

Ginny shrugged, teasingly opening her mouth. Instantly, she started to taunt Hermione, by whispering the same phrase repeatedly.

"Ginevra Molly Weasley if you don't shut up this instant, I swear to Merlin, I will hex you into oblivion." The brunette curtly said, ignoring the boys' strange glances.

"Fine..." The redhead sighed, much to her best friend's delight. "But, you aren't denying it!"

"I am!" Hermione whined, biting her tongue to refrain her from saying something she'd regret.

"Whatever, but I'm right," Ginny smirked, turning to glimpse at the two boys, who exchanged befuddled glances between each other.

"What was that about?!" Harry snickered, furrowing his eyebrows at the two girls.

"It was about who Hermione fa-" Ginny blurted out, getting sharply cut off by Hermione.

"Nothing! It was about nothing!" She bitterly shrieked, rolling her eyes when Ron chuckled. "Ginny just likes to try and embarrass me."

"Do not!" Ginny hollered, defending herself. "Plus, you do a brilliant job doing that yourself!"

It was at this point that Hermione lost it. "Silencio..." She murmured, flicking her wand slightly.

"I'm correct aga-" Ginny started, her voice gradually fading out, until she was completely silent.

Harry began to cackle, leaning back against the seat. Ginny glared at the duo, turning towards her brother. Swiftly, she tried to act out different words to the best of her ability. This, however, only fueled the trio's laughter even more, and for a split second, Hermione seemed to forget about her hatred for the raven-haired boy beside her.

★ ★ ★

"Hermione! I swear you'll pay for that!" Ginny yelled, as her voice gradually evolved back into its previous state.

The curly-headed girl rolled her eyes, tugging her luggage behind her, as they exited the train. "Oh hush, you know you deserved it."

"True..." Ginny sighed, smiling at her ignorant best friend. Causally, she slung her arm over Hermione's shoulder, walking alongside her. Together they both began to chuckle.

"I'm confused..." Harry breathed, walking alongside Hermione. She shrugged, slightly glaring at him, however, he didn't seem to notice.

"Same mate! One moment you two are bickering back and forth, and the next minute you're best friends!" Ron exclaimed, sighing loudly. "Girls are so confusing!"

Harry snickered in response, just now noticing Ginny and Hermione's annoyed expressions. "Come on, you know it's true." Harry prodded, playfully smirking at Hermione.

Ginny turned to give her best friend a knowing look once more, causing Hermione to speed up, not wanting to see the satisfaction on the redhead's face.

"Shut up..." She gritted once more, whispering into Ginny's ear. "I don't like him!" Hermione said, openly lying.