Chapter 7

"Alright. Thanks for calling again Foster. We'll be right here when you both get back. Bye." Chief Boden quickly hung up his phone for the second time in six minutes.

The rest of the house was again in the kitchen preparing for what looked like dinner. Chief Boden stood there for a minute admiring the ignorant bliss that seemed to fill this place.

"I just got off the phone with Foster..."

Everyone in the kitchen seemed to freeze and give their undivided attention to Chief Boden.

"It seems that Brett was attacked when they went on their last call. She's okay, nothing too serious."

Gasps could be heard all throughout the house.

"She and Foster should be on their way here after they finish up at Med."

There was no going back to how they were before this earth-shattering news that one of their own had been attacked. Hurt.

"Oh, God." Stella Breathed as Kelly wrapped his arms around her.

Matt was frozen.

"What happened? Is she okay? Who was it? Why? Why her? She didn't deserve this. I should have protected her? But, how? She was doing her job." He absently thought.

"Casey." He heard and threw his head up.

"Yeah, Chief?"

"Come see me in my office." Casey slowly stood up, feeling numb and like he may vomit at any time.

"You wanted to see me Chief?" Matt asked as he zombied into the small yet spacious office.

"Yeah, sit down."

"What's wrong Chief?" "Is it Brett?" Matt urgently asked.

"No. No, everything's okay as of right now." Chief assured.

"Matt, I know about you and Brett."

"How?" Matt stammered out.

"Let's just say I pay close attention to everyone in my house."

Matt nodded.

"Listen, Matt, I'm not here to judge on that right now. I just wanted to make sure that you would be there for Brett right now; she's gonna need you."

"Of course, Chief. I'll always be here for her." Answered Matt.

Thanks for reading! Feedback is appreciated.