XVI.

- chapter sixteen -
the case of ???

I was not on earth.

I was in a foyer.

it was overgrown with vibrant green leaves, vines and glowing flowers that I illuminated the long foyer. "you have passed your test," a voice said from behind me making me turn on my heel to face mother oshun.

"why am I here?" I ask raising a eyebrow.

"I had no doing in your travels to this realm this time around, this was your doing," she explained, her hair now completely straight with a yellow dress that hugged her curves tightly. "don't tell me it will be eight years since i've been out," I say as she walks up beside me.

"it's been minutes, your friends have already snapped their fingers," she explains her posture completely straight as we walked down the foyer.

"thank god."

"who?"

I pursed my lips together going silent, why would I force myself to come back here?

"the test of yourself was selfless," she starts, her high heels making a repeative click on the cracked marble flooring of the palace. "you have shown you can be a hundred percent selfless-" her face now reads to be full of fondness.

"why does my selflessness matter?" I question as she opens a portal for us to walk through. we were now outside under a canopy of trees. "you can't save the world and be selfish," she says and I tilt my head to the side in understanding.

"true."

the sinking feeling in my stomach was getting worse and I pursed my lips together humming. I exhaled before turning to the goddess, "I need to go back like now."

"someone wishes to speak to you."

"who?"

she backed away from me with a small smile on her face before I looked around then faced forward.

"mom?" I question my mouth hanging open as I stand still. she looked the same, her hair was braided back and she was wearing a bright yellow sun dress like she did when she was relaxing a day after coming back home.

"my baby!" she said opening her arms making me run into them. I buried my head in her chest, squeezing her practically to death starting to cry.

this was really her. she smelled the exact same; like sugar cookies and orchids. her hands rubbed circles on my back as she kissed my cheek. "how are you baby?" she asked slightly pulling away from me, still keeping her arms around me.

"i'm...i'm good. . .this is you, this is really you, I missed you so much," I say sniffling touching her face, re rememorizing her facial features all over again.

"I missed you too, thankfully mother oshun has allowed me to spectate your rather. . .odd life," my mom says making me smile. "why visit me now?" I question squinting my eyes.

"it's perfect timing, you've reached your full power. how you use and master it in the future is up to you however."

I stay silent for a moment exhaling as I started feeling queasy. "your friends need you," she says brushing a stray curl from my face.

"can I see you again?" I ponder out loud.

"as much as you want."

"now." she started pressing a kiss on my forehead.

"go."

she smoothed down my hair with one hand, patting my shoulder smiling at me. "i'm so proud of you," she whispered stepping back away from me. I created a portal of blackness behind me.

"I love you momma," I say waving before turning around walking into the portal.

----