MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 2

"Terra, let's go shopping ." My aunt said to me when I was busy reading a book. I shifted my gaze from my book to her and my face could tell exactly how I was feeling.

I scrunched up my face and arched my brow in shock at her words. Why would she want to take me out for shopping?

In the two years I have been staying with her, she never did anything of that sort. Not like  I am making her look bad in any way, but  I thought that woman was not thoughtful.

I slightly pinched myself out of complete disbelief ." Aunt Karen, are you joking?"

"I have no time for stupid jokes." She said angrily ." Are you coming or not?"

"Yes," I answered without much thought. Who would refuse a chance to get new clothes?

I actually needed new clothes, especially because the last time I ever got new clothes was two years ago and since then, I have been wearing the same baggy clothing of mine.

Not like I am complaining or anything, but the whole wearing baggy clothing is kinda getting to me. The only reason I wear such clothing in the first place is to stay unnoticed, but after coming to think about it, it doesn't really help.

Wearing a big black hoodie and some black sweat pants isn't really the best way to stay unnoticed in a crowd and my fashion style has made me gain more attention than I intended to get.

One time,  I was screamed at by some old woman I met in the street. She literally called me a witch just because I was dressed up in my usual weird baggy clothing. It was only when she screamed at me that I noticed my attempts to stay unnoticed were in vain.

I was very upset with her words that I went home and stayed for hours reflecting on it. The thought of her words made me cry because it reminded me of my parents. My parents were always there to cheer me up when I was sad but at that point, they were not there for me and that thought saddened me.

Ever since that experience, I never ever moved comfortably in the streets.

So the fact that my aunt offered to buy me new clothes sounded like good news to my ears.

She drove me to the mall and then we entered a store where clothing is sold.

I saw a couple of dresses I liked and at first, I hesitated to get them because of the price but when my aunt noticed my hesitation she grabbed one of the dresses and made me wear it.

I felt shy when I walked out of the dressing room with the dress. I don't even remember the last time I ever wore a dress but I liked the way I looked in that dress.

My aunt seemed even more excited than I was to see me in that dress.

"You look amazing my child." She said with a smile plastered on her face. It was the first time I ever heard her call me her child. I did not understand what was happening and why this woman I believed was rude was being kind to me.

"Thank you," I said in shock. 

"Won't you get some more dresses?"I raised a brow, she wanted to spend that much cash on me? I stared at her with my mouth gaped open and my eyeballs ready to pop out of their sockets.

How can I deny an offer for more clothes?

I grabbed as many dresses as my hands could carry and tried them all on. She never seemed to show any hint of anger despite how expensive each dress was.

I was just waiting for her to tell me it was some sort of prank, but it was clear to me that it wasn't when she paid for all the dresses.

She handed me the plastics of  my innumerable dresses." Now, let us go get your hair done."

Those words made me even more surprised than I was. I needed that. My hair was an absolute mess and a haircut was exactly what I needed to fix it.  I followed my aunt until we arrived at a hair salon.

I sat for hours as the stylist worked on my hair. When she was done, I really liked the results, I looked very different.

"Oh, my, God. You look so pretty." My aunt said when she looked at me.

I looked at myself in the mirror and I mentally agreed with her. I  looked very pretty.

"Thank you, aunt Karen," I said wiping away a tear that formed on my eye.

"You're welcome." She said with a smile on her face.

We went back home and the minute we arrived, she asked me a weird question.

"Terra, can you quit your job?"I didn't understand why she asked me to do that but because she was being so kind to me, I agreed to her request and quit my job.