Frustration and Assignment

Motherbase

19:30

Laura fell face-first into her new bed, moaning into the pillow. Everything ached. Her arms, hands, shoulders, legs, and even her head. She just finished training with Jonas and he showed no mercy. After seeing her empty a single mag he had her firing mag after mag into paper targets, for hours! After that, he moved her to hand to hand combat. She wondered if he did that just to kick her ass.

Feeling the new bumps rising on her head, she turned over and stared at the ceiling. "Only one day here and I already made a fool out of myself," she said to no one. Her cheeks tinted red remembering the firing range. Stuffing the pillow into her face she groaned. "Can this day get any worse?"

Jonas meanwhile was talking to his CO.

"She's mediocre in almost everything," Jonas announced, "she has the trigger discipline of a child hyped on candy and hand-eye coordination of a toddler!" "I barely had to raise my hand to knock her down," continued Jonas. Oliver just stared from where he was sitting. "Well," Jonas asked, " Are you going to do anything? Send her back to basic training for god's sake!"

"No."

"What?"

"You heard me," continued Oliver, "your going have to suck it up."

Jonas looked at the major dumbfounded," She can barely get by."

"Then train her," answered the major, "recruits like her are dedicated and there aren't many like them. So instead of talking to me and doing nothing, get your head out of your ass and get to work."

Jonas huffed, "Fine, at least we aren't going on any missions soon.

The major coughed, "About that..."

"You have to be kidding me"

"I'll brief you tomorrow so get some sleep."

Irritated, Jonas left the office and started walking back to his quarters. Great. Just great. A mission with a soldier barely out of basic training, not his fault if she dies. He then chuckled to himself, "Just like you Angelica..."

Opening the door to his quarters he heard an eep then a thump. Peering inside he found his partner sprawled on the ground, tangled in her blankets. "Laura," Jonas sighed, "what are you doing?"

The woman quickly untangled herself from the blankets and stood up with red flushing her cheeks. "You surprised me, sir," she answered, "so I..." He looked at her, her checks redding even more. "Tripped over the blanket," she said embarrassed.

Jonas sighed, "Whatever, just get some sleep. We have an assignment tomorrow. The briefing is at 7:30." He then walked to the bathroom to brush, as Laura slid into her bed.

'You big idiot!' Laura screamed mentally. Not only did she embarrassed herself in front of her CO again, but she also had an assignment the next day. She then sighed into her pillow as she was quickly consumed by exhaustion and fell asleep.

Jonas stepped out of the bathroom, noticing Laura already asleep. He then slid into his bed and stared at the ceiling. As his eyes began to feel heavy, he sighed and allowed the sleep to overtake him.

7:10

Jonas floated in a dark abyss. No sound. No people. Just nothingness. Jonas stared as a dark figure walked towards him, the silhouette looking so familiar. The figure drew closer and Jonas's eyes widened as the person came closer. Angelica. Memories started pounding his head like a hammer to his skull.

"Nice to meet you, sir!"

"Thanks for teaching me!"

"Give me some covering fire!"

"Will you give me a shoulder to lean on?"

"Grenade!"

"Jonas. It hurts, there's so much blood."

Images of his past flicked past like a slideshow each more agonizing than others.

He woke up a gasp, sweat evident on his forehead. Jonas rubbed his eyes feeling something wet. Tears. The Reaper was crying, What a joke. He stood up and washed his face in the bathroom. Looking up from the sink he looked at himself. His black hair hanging in front of his eyes without a care in the world. He grabbed a comb putting his hair up. As he walked out he saw Laura woke up. Laura stood up from her bed.

"Mourning Sarge," she yawned.

Jonas grunted, "Dress up and get to the HQ for briefing."

Laura grabbed her fatigues and headed towards the bathroom, as Jonas started his walk to the HQ. It was a crisp summer morning as he walked noticing the number of soldiers moving around, 'Looks like a large operation'. Entering the HQ, he leaned against a pillar and waited for Laura. Five minutes later, Laura walked in with her uniform on.

"Ready sir!"

The pair headed into the briefing room. Jonas noticed a large number of generals and officers around the room.

"Nice for you to join us, Jonas," called Oliver, "now we can begin." Oliver pointed to a map on a table, "As you know we are still stuck in a stalemate along the Mississippi." A line was drawn across the Mississippi, the west controlled by the NPR and the east controlled by the UDF or United Defense force. "High command is trying to send more troops to the frontline, but those reinforcements are being ambushed by special forces," continued Oliver. "You along with other troops are going to be sent out to clear this problem. Any questions?" finished Oliver. Silence ensued. "Good, go get ready. You head out in 45."

Jonas and Laura walked out. "Special forces, huh," Laura sputtered.

Jonas knew the danger those damn NPR special forces were from his too many tussles with them. "As long as you keep your head down you'll be fine," Jonas said. That did little to ease her nervousness.

Jonas thought to himself, 'Trial by fire, what way to start off.'