Chapter 8

"Why? Why him?" I complained

"I know you don't want to see him, but he's your brother." Maxon reasoned

"Maxon, I know you see it as being selfish to not want to see him because you've always wanted siblings but he's not a good person. After he started climbing he changed. He left my family in the dirt." I explained and Maxon hugged me

"America, it doesn't have to be long just talk to him for a few minutes." He said softly, "You'll be okay."

"Ames!"Kota called when he saw me walking down the stairs

"Hi," I said not making eye contact

"America, this is the second time the family has been invited to the palace and I wasn't aware of an invitation, why?" Kota asked, I went to speak but got cut off, "You know what? It's fine, you can just make it up to me by making me a two along with the rest of the family when you get married." He turned away from me to look at Maxon, "Prince Maxon, what made you pick my sister? Did she guilt you into it?" Maxon looked taken back, "Does he know?" He asked and looked over to me, "Does he know about Aspen?" Maxon tensed up at his name, "He doesn't, does he? Because if he did know, he probably wouldn't have chosen you."

"Stop." l said. I took a step closer to Kota, "He knows about Aspen, even if he didn't, it's none of your business. You didn't get invited because you don't deserve to be. You climbed and left us in the dirt. Gerad was crushed. I was crushed. But you didn't core. The only thing you care about is money and fame. You are not becoming a two. You only move castes if I say so. You complained that dad didn't leave you enough, the rest of us were mourning while you were being greedy and complaining. He gave you our entire house!"

"Yes, but-" Kota cut in

"No! I'm not done talking!" I said loudly "Remember how I said you'd be amazed at how quickly I'd put a cane to your hands? Well, l can still make that happen. Then what would happen to poor little Kota? You would fall. You would have to start over but this time would be worse, with caned hands you wouldn't be able to sculpt. You would be an eight and I wouldn't feel bad."

"You wouldn't do that to me, I'm your brother." Kota said and I scoffed, "Prince Maxon, you have yet to answer my question; Why did you choose my sister. You had so many better girls."

"I don't have to answer to you but I'll do it this once," Maxon said sternly, "I proposed o America because I love her. Because I want to spend my life with her. It's as simple as that. If you continue to question my decision and attempt to make her feel as though she is anything less than perfect then I will go out of my way to ensure that you don't succeed in your work ever again. Now I believe it is time for you to leave. I'll give you the option to either go peacefully and not cause a scene or to be difficult and forced out of my palace by guards. It's your choice, Kota."

"As you wish," Kota said mockingly then strutted out of the palace as if he were someone of importance.

"I told you that I didn't want to see him and this is exactly why," I said and turned to go back up the stairs,

"America,"

"No, I had my reasons and you wouldn't let me make my decision to not see him. I will not just let you make my decisions for me." I continued up the stairs, into my room and locked the door.