My Nepenthe

KANG SIAN

My sleepy eyes slit open to the morning light coloring the white walls a faint shade of blue.

I blink lazily, knowing that I needed to get up, go to class. And then after that, work my shift in the convenience store. Forget dinner, collapse into bed.

But wow, I've never wanted to stay in bed so badly.

My fingers touch something soft, tightening instinctively over the fluffy locks and tugging on them. My eyes blink to a wall of black.

Taehyung's black shirt.

His hair goes loose between my fingers as I blink again, my eyes wide this time.  A groan escapes his lips when I kick off the blanket, red spreading from my nose to my cheeks.

"Five more minutes..."

I stare at him in disbelief as I try to recall what happened last night through my sleep-muddled mind.

Oh yeah.

Nightmare.

"Let me go, you oversized toddler." I mumble as I try to unclasp his hands on my waist. "I have to go to class."

"Class...?" He repeats dazedly before his eyes go wide in recognition. Excitement lights up his face as he jumps up from the bed.

"School— you're talking about going to school, right? Let's go!"

"Go back to sleep," I yawn, glancing at him when he looks at me with shocked eyes. "Why do you want to go to school? It's school."

"I'm going."

"It doesn't work like that." I tell him as I gather my hair into a ponytail. "There's registration, and—"

"You can do that for me."

"I'm not your parent, Taehyung." I say, looking at him curiously. "I mean— do you have any records? Immunization and all that stuff?"

"Immunization?"

"Never mind." I say, glancing at the clock. No doubt I was going to be late if I didn't leave in the next minute.

"Taehyung." I say seriously, holding his shoulders. "I'll see if I can enroll you in school— but even if I somehow get you in, you won't be admitted today. Can you wait for me until I come back?"

"You'll try?"

"I promise."

________________________

KANG SIAN

I'm in the middle of class when my mind goes blank.

Did Taehyung know all this?

Now that I think about it, he was so innocent I would be surprised if he knew how to multiply.

But keeping my promise, I head to the front office as soon as class ends.

"Yes?"

"I was wondering if I could have a copy of the registration form?" I say, and the woman's eyes instantly slit with suspicion.

"My mother wants me to get it for her." I say quickly, swallowing. "She might be enrolling my cousin here."

Clicking her tongue, she hands me a piece of paper. Thanking her, I make my way out of the office and go outside for lunch to finish my homework.