Signs

There was an unquestionable stillness that broke the dawn that day.
For that split moment the air felt heavy, anyone who'd pay enough attention could tell that when the crisp wind, the cool breeze or the tangling air came to a halt, everything took a turn.
As the silence prevailed in the early hours of the morning, when the sun took a few seconds longer to greet the day. The birds songs lulled as they held their breath before they chirped to their merry tune.
A moment longer and a year earlier.
That's all it took.
That's all it took for the fabric of peace and hope to start to unravel.
That's all it took to set the world ablaze.
One declaration, an oath of allegiance.
That's all it took to bring the heroes to their knees. 

-

The intoxicating smell of freshly burnt tobacco and a deep red wine pressed against the lips of all present. Gowns flowed in silk and suits custom tailored to the fibre of the fabric. The shimmer of the chandelier glisten over the grand table filled with criminals. 

With a clink of a wine glass against a fork, gradually all the chatter was silenced. "I hope you've all enjoyed yourselves because now we have to get back to the real reason I've called you here."

They all smiled in agreement, attention entirely grabbed, and the man continues, "I've handpicked a subordinate, who, going forward will serve the objective to its finish." The aroma of strawberry fruit in his hand, he twirled the liquid.
As if on cue the lights dim and a picture popped up on the only plain wall in the room.

"A kid?"

In an instant the storm rolled in.

"Do you think we're stupid?"

"Why would we invest in this? "

"Is this why you called us all the way here?"

"There's no way a kid can pull this off."

"Are you smiling?"

He nodded, pulling his seat out to level himself with his comrades? Colleagues or simply-put rich acquaintances. "Sit down, you're all embarrassing yourselves."

 "How dare-" 

A brown cheap office folder was tossed towards the center of the table. Eyes instinctively trailed to the stationary object. A man, with a final puff, dunks the butt of his cigar into his drink and takes the folder in his hands, opening to find details. Everything from age to appearance to family background was inscribed on several sheets of paper. 
He chuckled in, "Where did you find the brat?" He sat back in his chair, addressing the host and half attentively passed the folder to the next person.

"With such a powerful quirk, how could we not have noticed?"

"I think this can work."

"It will."