Chapter One

New Orleans, Louisiana
1903

 Peter Stone wasn't expecting much when he arrived in New Orleans. Travelling to America was something he had thought about doing for many years, and he finally decided to just make a go of it and see what a new country and new surroundings would do for him. 

 When he arrived in the city of New Orleans, he crossed paths with Klaus Mikaelson very early on. Of course, he knew exactly who Klaus was, and was surprised to find him there; no one in Europe had heard anything of him for the last two hundred years, and it had been even longer since the Mikaelson family were last in England. 

 Surprisingly, Klaus seemed to take an interest in Peter. He was polite, honest, and mainly kept himself to himself, so Peter wasn't sure what exactly Klaus would have seen in him. A friendship with Klaus Mikaelson was something he wasn't sure he even wanted, but they wound up in something of a friendship, anyway. 

 There was something about Klaus; he was handsome and charming, but there was something fascinating about him, something that drew people to him. Unfortunately, Peter began to become one of those people. The man's reputation preceded him, and Peter knew all about the things he had done. However, he found himself meeting Klaus and being friendly on many occasions, maybe out a mix of fear and fascination. 

 By time Christmas came around, Peter had been in New Orleans for nearly two months. A few days before Christmas, Klaus invited him to come join a small party being held at the Mikaelsons' home on Christmas Eve. 

 "You want me to come?" Peter asked. 

 "Why shouldn't I invite you?" Klaus replied. "You're a friend now, and I doubt you'll cause much trouble with your presence. Besides, I would like you to meet my bother and sister. I see no reason why you wouldn't all get along." 

 Peter accepted the invitation without much hesitation. He had never actually been to Klaus' home before, and he was now curious to see the place and meet Klaus' family. Neither of them possessed the reputation Klaus had, but they always stuck together as a family. Peter knew almost nothing about them, and was curious to know what they were like. 

 On Christmas Eve, Peter went to the Mikaelson home and was greeted warmly by Klaus himself. 

 "I have to say, I was a little surprised you chose to come," he remarked. "I thought I might have scared you off somehow. I hope I haven't been too forward with you."

 "Not at all," Peter replied. Truth be told, Klaus did make him a little nervous, but he seemed like the kind of man who simply had a way of doing that to people. "You have done so much to make me feel welcome in New Orleans, and I'm thankful." 

 Klaus beamed. "Excellent! Well, come. I would like to introduce you to my family."  

 The party only consisted of a small number of vampires who lived within the French Quarter, so there weren't too many people to meet and greet, but none of them were anyone Peter knew. 

 "Elijah!" Klaus called. He led Peter over to a man who had been talking a few guests. "Even at a simple Christmas party, you cannot attempt to be lively, can you?" 

 "I have been making sure there's no trouble while you've been gallivanting around the room," Elijah answered. He looked at Peter. "I am sorry if my brother had caused you any trouble." 

 "Oh." Peter glanced between them, surprised to see that they looked nothing alike. They were about the same height, but that was all. Klaus was fair-haired and blue-eyed, and he was still grinning. It was a great contrast to Elijah's dark hair and eyes, and his unsmiling face was stern and severe. But he was a handsome man, without any doubt.

 "Oh, never mind him," Klaus said to Peter, who was a little relieved because he had forgotten if he was going to say anything. "Let's go find someone a little more exciting than my big brother. We'll se him again later, and perhaps by then he'll want to really join the party. Come on." 

 "Yes. Coming." Peter had been looking at Elijah, and was reluctant to turn away from him and join Klaus. Now that he had seen Elijah, he had almost forgotten about the younger brother.