Chapter Four

Peter had never felt like this before about anyone, and certainly not about anyone like the Mikaelson brothers. 

 He had only barely gotten Elijah to notice him, but it did give him something. He and Elijah would see each other in the future, as long as he kept up his friendship with Klaus. That involved being his usual self, which wasn't much of an issue, but it also involved spending more time with Klaus. 

 It wasn't that Peter had suddenly lost all interest in the other Mikaelson brother; he still liked him, and was glad to have him as a friend. He simply wasn't the brother Peter wanted to be spending his time with. There was also the fact that Klaus was very observant. What if he figured out Peter's interest in Elijah? Even though Klaus seemed to like him just as he was, Peter doubted he would want him hanging around his brother. And being friends with Klaus didn't blind Peter as to who he really was; surely Klaus could easily rid of him if he wanted to, or if he had a reason that he believed to be a good reason. 

~~~~~~ 

 "I'd like you to stay for dinner later this evening," Klaus said to Peter late one afternoon in the middle of January. "Don't worry, it's not another party. It should only be us, my siblings and Marcel. Small dinner. I only thought you might like to stay." 

 Peter nodded. "Yes, that would be nice. Thank you. I wouldn't mind getting to know your siblings and Mr. Gerard. Is it only your brother Elijah and sister Rebekah, then?" 

 "Yes, well...there were...others," Klaus said slowly. "But never you mind about that. It's not important. I had better make sure everything's being prepared. Do you mind waiting here a few minutes?" 

 "No. I will be here." 

 Peter exhaled deeply after Klaus left the room. There was something about being in his presence that was very uncomfortable. Peter couldn't help get the feeling that there was going to be something Klaus would want from him. There had to be something; it's the only thing that would make sense. 

 "Getting sick of my brother's presence yet?" 

 It was Rebekah Mikaelson, Klaus' equally formidable younger sister. She seemed to have appeared almost immediately after her brother left. Perhaps she had been waiting for him to leave. 

 "Good afternoon, Miss Mikaelson." Peter stood. "How nice to see you. Your brother has invited to stay for dinner. I hope you don't mind." 

 She shrugged. "It doesn't matter whether or not I mind. So," she sat down in the chair Klaus had been sitting in, opposite Peter's, "You didn't answer my question." 

 "I...don't know what to say." Peter sat down again. "No one's asked what I think of him. To be honest, I don't have any other friends in New Orleans. Not so far, at least." 

 "I see. Well, if you're going to insist on being friends with him," Rebekah continued, "Do be careful around him. He must want something from you." 

 That was exactly what Peter had been thinking when she interrupted his thoughts. "Do you have any idea what that could be?" he asked her. 

 "No, I'm afraid I have no idea. It isn't always easy with my brother. Sometimes you just don't know with him. But don't forget I warned you." 

 "Well, what's all this about warnings?" Klaus strode back into the room. "Rebekah, are you to scare away our dinner guest?" 

 She shrugged. "It would save him from having to endure a meal with you." 

 Klaus grinned, and turned to Peter. "A funny thing, my sister. Isn't that right, Rebekah?" 

 He spoke as if they were simply all joking with each other, but Peter could tell that jokes were not a thing that went too well in this family. 

 "Is it still just the five of us for dinner?" he asked. 

 "It should be. Why don't you both come to the dining room?" 

 "Yes." Rebekah raised her eyebrows, still looking in Peter's direction. "Perhaps we should." 

 The woman was obviously telling him to start keeping his distance from her brother, but Peter had absolutely nothing to use as an excuse to get out of dinner. He knew that whatever he came up with, Klaus would know he was lying. So, he silently followed Klaus and Rebekah out of the parlor and towards the dining room.