Mafia Affair

A brief note: Anything said by the Italians was purposefully put with less than sharp grammar so yh i know that some of the grammar is bad but once it was said by an Italian then it was intentional. No offense intended i just love italians with broken english.

________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter 1

My name is Kaitlyn kairo and I was finally twenty. I was ready to begin my life. My plan to get ahead was simply to take over my Nonno's shop in Sicily, Italy. Nonno had past away in March leaving the shop in my possession and I was determined to keep it running. I loved that shop and whenever we visited Nonno in Italy he would allow me to pretend I was one of the waitresses. Yeah Nonno owned a diner, which I knew I wanted for my own ever since I was six. He and my grandmother actually owned it but she died when I was five. To me, owning that diner meant everything since it seemed much more interesting than my boring life in Scotland with my parents who were totally against me moving to Italy on my own.

My mother was Scottish and her parents weren't too thrilled about her marrying an Italian because of an incident they had had with a few a couple years back but with much persuasion papa made his way into her family. However they only agreed to allow the wedding if papa moved to Scotland and they were dead set against giving me an Italian name.

The plane ride to Italy was, in my opinion, far too long. I was ready and eager to put my foot on Italian soil again. To feel like I was my own woman for once in my life. I went through immigration, which was fairly easy since, through my father, I was a citizen.

Finally out of the Airport's building I hurried to the parking lot. One of Nonno's friends had told me he would drop off my Nonno's car so I could have it. I was very grateful for that because first off that car had so many memories in it and second I had absolutely no other way of getting around. Scanning the surroundings I saw it. The car I had fallen asleep in on many summer nights after Nonno had had a hectic work day. Hours spent laughing at his funny jokes and work day blunders. When I thought about it I was really going to miss him. I ran my hand over the hood of the car as precious memories came back; memories of times past; times that could never be relived.

As I slowly took a stroll down memory lane my cell phone began to ring. More than  likely my parents were checking in on me for the millionth time since I left Scotland. Reaching into my pocket I grabbed my phone.

"Hello?" mama hated that I barely had a Scottish accent and she blamed that on all the times I visited my Nonno.

"Kaitlyn, where are ya now?" mama asked anxiously.

"Still at the airport mama, the plane just landed."

"Well where are ya plannin to stay fer tonight then?"

"I don't know, probably at a hotel somewhere, this is Rome afterall."

"Alright, take care of yerself and call me when yer booked in."

"Okay, I love you mama."

"I love you too."

She hung up. Honestly it was as if they felt that if they didn't call me enough something simply awful would happen to me. What a load of bubkis. I mean yes this was the real world but in my opinion people made too much fuss over it. I bet the danger only seemed real because that was all anyone ever bothered to highlight. I believed that there was still good in the world and I was going to find it.

I pulled out of the parking lot and was soon on the main road. As I drove down the main road I noticed someone signaling me to stop. I cautiously pulled over to the sidewalk but left my window nearly fully closed. I believed in the greater good but I wasn't an idiot. The old man made his way over to me.