2 | TIME

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

HERSHEL HAD MANAGED TO GET HALF OF THE BULLET FRAGMENTS OUT OF THE LITTLE BOY. In order to get the last ones out, as well as stitch up an internal bleed, he would need to anesthetize Carl― they had to ensure that he wouldn't move, or Hershel ran the risk of severing an artery and killing him. To do that, they needed a respirator and more surgical supplies that Hershel unfortunately didn't have on hand.

The only place they could think of was the local high school, where a FEMA shelter had previously been set up at. It was risky, considering the place had been overrun the last time anyone had seen it; but it was the only chance they had to save Rick's son. Shane, the curly-haired man that had arrived with them, instantly agreed to go. Otis offered to go with him, since Shane didn't know where to go or even what to look for. But when Charlie stepped forward and tried to offer his services, Juniper felt her throat close up. "N―No," she choked out, her blue eyes wide as she stared at her older brother.

Everyone turned to look at the woman in surprise. She had been so silent, it was almost easy to forget she was even standing in the room. Juniper had always been a wallflower of sorts.

The older Anderson sibling sighed. "June, they could use the help," he told her. "I'll be fine."

"Charlie, no," she repeated, her voice cracking with emotion. Seeing Rick and Shane's eyes on her, both men looking a bit offended at how blatantly she was denying her brother to help save Carl's life, she turned to them. "I mean no offense. I want Carl to survive― I'm ready to give him my blood as soon as he needs it, but... but my family, we've already lost enough to this outbreak." Juniper turned her gaze back to Charlie. "Please, don't go out there. I can't lose another brother."

Charlie blanched at the mention of Tate's death, but his expression softened along with his voice. "Junie," he said gently, using the old nickname he had for his little sister. "Don't think like that. I'll be okay."

"I don't want you to go either, Uncle Charlie." The adults all turned at the sound of the little girl, seeing her in the doorway behind Otis. Bailey's brown eyes locked onto Charlie pleadingly. "Please. I don't want the scary things to take you away, too."

"They won't," Shane spoke up, seeing that Charlie didn't know what to do. Shane and Rick had no clue about the personal lives of these people, but they understood what it was like to lose loved ones now that the world had gone downhill the way it had. "Otis and I should get in and out just fine. Right?" His gaze darted to the older man inquisitively, for he didn't know the layout of the place they were headed to.

Otis nodded. "We'll be alright."

"Otis―"

"It's okay, Charlie," Rick intervened, assuring the man who was trying to help. "I'm grateful that you want to help my son, but I can't send you away from your family."