5 | PEACHY

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

THE NEXT MORNING, CARL WAS FINALLY ALLOWED TO GET OUT OF BED AND MOVE AROUND. June asked Lori if the two of them would like to head out to the chicken coop with she and Bailey, and the woman agreed with a smile. Carl was excited to be able to do something, and he enjoyed helping Bailey feed the chickens while Lori watched over him like a hawk and June ducked inside the chicken coop to collect the freshly-laid eggs. "You mind keeping an eye on her?" She asked Lori when she walked back out. "I'm just gonna run these into the house, if that's okay."

"No, yeah, that's fine," Lori responded, nodding easily. "It's no trouble at all, she's a good kid."

June cracked a smile, looking at the brown-eyed girl trying to teach Carl how to approach a chicken without scaring it away. He attempted to follow her example, but he wasn't as light on his feet. The chickens near them spooked and hurried away, causing both kids to laugh. "Yeah," Juniper agreed, a tenderness shining in her blue eyes that only ever seemed to be there for Bailey anymore. "She really is." Turning to leave, she passed by her daughter and ruffled her hair. "I'll be back in a bit. Mind what Miss Lori says, okay?"

"Yes, Mama," Bailey said, shooting her mother a grin before grabbing another handful of poultry feed and sprinkling it on the ground for the chickens.

As June was walking toward the house, Glenn fell into step beside her, carrying a basket of peaches in his hands. "Good morning," she told him politely. When she saw the look on his face, her eyebrows pulled together. "Is something wrong?"

"What?" Glenn's eyes widened, and he shook his head. "No, no, uh― do you want a peach? Here, have a peach."

When he reached out to give one to her, Juniper jerked away from his outstretched hand. "I'm allergic, but thank you," she explained briefly.

Glenn's cheeks burned as he quickly dropped the peach back in the basket. "Sorry."

"Don't be. You didn't know." Juniper eyed him closely. "Glenn, I know we hardly know each other, but― are you sure everything's okay?"

"Yeah, why wouldn't it be? Everything is, uh, peachy." He shook the basket of peaches he was holding. "Everything is safe. There is nothing wrong whatsoever. Nothing at all. I just need to relax," he rambled, stressing each thing he spoke about. Glenn looked at her out of the corner of his eye, trying to read her facial expression; but he figured Juniper was either very good at playing innocent, or she just honestly didn't know about the barn. "Okay, I― you're very good at that."

Juniper slowed to a stop when Glenn suddenly stopped walking, turning to look at him in confusion. "Good... at what, exactly?"

He cleared his throat. "Maggie told me."

"Told you what?"

Glenn stared at her, like he was trying to say something with his eyes. "I know," he said meaningfully. "The thing you guys can't tell anyone. I know."