chapter nine

Vanessa didn't want to take Giuliana's words about Sean to heart, she actually tried to tell herself that he wasn't any of the sorts. But here she was, sitting next to him as the group of friends took a cab that would take them to the city's nightlife, wondering why everyone else was having a pleasant conversation as Sean minded his business on his phone. 

Giuliana wanted to get really wasted that particular night, something about her dad not being able to come visit her as he had promised, had ticked her off. The group agreed, they all deserved drinks after a tiring week of work and personal endeavors. 

Vanessa had no other choice but to tag along, she had nothing going on, maybe a little alcohol wouldn't hurt and it'd be fun to see everyone else get drunk. 

Marco started talking to Vanessa about a meme he had seen that day, taking his phone out to show her. Vanessa faked a laugh, the meme was something that only Italian people would understand but she thought it'd be rude to tell him that. 

''You don't have to pretend you get it, Vanessa.'' Giuliana spoke as she saw the interaction between the both, Vanessa gave her a nervous look and Marco kept laughing either way ''I guess your lessons aren't paying off that well, Sean.'' Giuliana addressed her distracted friend, who immediately looked up at the mention of his name. 

''Italian isn't the easiest language in the world, Vanessa. Don't sweat it.'' Gabe added, his conversation with Valentina coming to an end after the girl decided to reapply gloss to her lips ''It took me a whole year to start understanding what people were saying!'' 

''Oui, essayez d'apprendre le français.'' Valentina said, speaking french and confusing Vanessa even more ''She just said that you should try learning french, it's harder.'' Giuliana translated and Vanessa nervously laughed. 

It was a big culture shock. 

''Go easy on her, you guys.'' Sean suddenly spoke up for the first time that night. It definitely took everyone else by surprise. ''Wow, he actually speaks'' Kenneth whispered to Valentina who stifled a laugh. ''Vanessa's trying, which says a lot about her.'' Sean added and Vanessa gave him a small smile, a thank you one. 

-----

Alcohol had never looked more appetizing than ever to Vanessa. She wasn't a big drinker, she had never gotten drunk before. Yes, she had drank alcohol but she had never thought about getting wasted. 

Not until tonight.

Giuliana had asked the bartender for shots for her friends, so Vanessa had to drink that first. Then Valentina ordered a vodka soda for her since Vanessa had told her that she had never tried vodka, to what Valentina said ''Je ne peux pas te croire!'' which Vanessa assumed was an expression of surprise. Afterward, Kenneth was feeling lightheaded and gave her the rest of the tequila he had ordered for himself, which she drank gladly. Marco gagged at the first taste of whiskey and told Vanessa that she should try it, to make sure it wasn't as bad as he thought it was; Vanessa ended up drinking it fully. 

So at a certain point of the night, Vanessa's vision was blurry and she could barely stand up without feeling like the world was moving at slow motion. She didn't even notice when Sean's hands steadied her, right on her waist. She giggled at the gesture, not knowing whose hands were they anyway. 

''Mmmm...you smell good.'' She mumbled as she inhaled the scent of a masculine cologne surrounding her. Sean smirked and cleared his throat ''Vanessa, are you okay?'' he asked, noticing the state of the girl in front of him. She was far from okay, but he had to make sure. ''I'm okaaaay, I'm more than okay! I'm fiiiineeeee.'' She replied, slurring her words.