Prologue

Good things happen when you least expect it

– Dr. James Borrell.

CHRISTOPHER POV

My eyes flutter open to the light peeking through the dark curtains. A groan escapes my lips, feeling the familiar throbbing sensation in my head. The events of last night flash in bits and pieces. Bright streams of light flashed in the dark room, hunching over the table inhaling the innocent powder that would eventually lead to my death. My fist aimed at the target of a narrow face that could only explain my bloody fist.

Snippets of the song Happy Birthday played like a distant memory sound so close yet so far. I wonder whose birthday bash was it?

My feet swing towards the edge of the bed, sitting up. My hands comb through my soft brown hair, gripping it. My eyes lock on the line of snow, leaning over like a moth to a flame, inhaling it like oxygen, needing a jump start for the day.

"Ah!" I sigh, sniffling. After a few moments, my heart palpitates, the snow finally taking its course through my system.

Just the head start I need.

My feet are noodles as I stand, waiting for them to become steady. I make my towards the bathroom almost face-plant to the things strew across the floor. My hands wander to the smooth surface of the wall, flicking the light switch on.

I squint my eyes close as the light bombards my vision. Slowly I open them, ignoring the needles stash across the counter and the bag of pills and weed. I search in the cabinet for the much needed aspirin, swallowing two then get started on my day.

After scrubbing the taste of yesterday actions off my mouth, leaving me with a minty breath, I let the hot water soothes my nerves as the searing water beats on my back. Water droplets trail behind me as my wet feet slap against the tiles, with a flick of my wrist, light flooded the room, exposing the room for what it is.

Dirty.

Clothes scatter all about the room both clean and dirty in a mix. The cocaine made itself comfortable on my nightstand, beer bottle and weed stash about the room. Chinese and pizza empty boxes take refuge on the navy blue sheet bed. I look past the mess, digging around for a clean underpants pulling it on.

You feel the vibe, it's contagious
Look in yo eyes, shit is dangerous

My head snaps towards the sound, then it takes me a second to realize that it is my phone ringing in the quiet apartment.

Grateful I had all the patience

I know you going through some changesOu taking pictures, know your angles

Ooh, no we ain't perfect, but we damn close
Ooh, you give me something I can't pay for

No angel, but you got a halo

In three strides, I'm in front of my nightstand. Without looking at the id, I slide the green button up. Dead silence comes from the other end as I wait for the other person to say something. I grab a faded pair of jeans, dragging them up my waist. My patience wearing thin, I mutter lowly, "Who the fuck is this?"

"Your fucking grandma."

I move the phone from my ears, staring at the lit screen if it's really her despite the evidence of her brutal tone.

"Sup?" I ask, rubbing the back of my neck, knowing what's coming next.

"Sup? Sup? You've been ignoring me for two months now. I'm worried sick."