Chapter Three

Does it depress you to know just how alone you really are? The Dark Knight

The worst place you can be is at the bottom of the food chain. I was there once; I sank my teeth to the top to realize it. It wasn't the easiest but being at the bottom wasn't an option either. Being at my age, made it worse. The inmates would just fuck with me for shits and giggles.  I was just nine, lacking the knowledge of how things are run here. A little silverfish, ready to be swallowed by a seal, and from the perspective of a silverfish, they were a flashing signal danger-danger.

Eventually, I learned, through a lot of tribulations, a few cuts and bruises here and there. Morphing into a killer whale eating them for lunch. It wasn't glamorous being at the top but it sure as hell came with a lot of perks especially when I'm the oldest and longest inmate in this facility.

The killer whale isn't a God, just at the top of the food chain. I can't demand the guards to let me out. They have bosses, bosses who got bosses and the bosses' bosses have a boss and a supreme court that they have to answer to. In the world, I'm a long-forgotten nobody but in these walls, I'm the boss.

You can't be a boss if you are still being treated like a delinquent.

I am a delinquent who gets better treatment than the rest. Raymond Reddington is a criminal, who gets better treatment than the rest of the agents.

No comebacks huh? A grin spread across my face, laughing like a lunatic. Point 239, you 220.

"Rain, would you like to share the joke with the class?"

I snap back to reality, the grin never leaves my face. "I would but they probably wouldn't get it."

The teacher turns towards the board, continuing on with the lesson successfully ignoring me. I raise one of my eyebrows translating 'what?' to the rest of the class. The delinquents turned their heads in a heartbeat except the one sitting beside me.

Her forest green eyes drill into my head. "You'd be surprised."

"You'd be a lunatic if you did. Are you a lunatic?"

"Depends on the lunatic."

My lips stretched into a broad smile with teeth on display. Looks like I found a Batman to my Joker. A friend in this mess who doesn't know my history yet. It's refreshing.

"What you in for?" I asked, suddenly intrigued about this girl.

"Disobedience."

"What did you do?"

"Violation."

To what? Whom? Who?

"What's your name?"

"None of your business." Her tone drops to freezing temperature, and the words strewn turn into icicles, falling on my armor.

I stare into her green eyes, her facial features replicating frostiness. A smile graced my lips, proving what I knew earlier. She's hiding something. My attention returns back to the teacher at the front, teaching office administration, explaining the sales, marketing, and customer service office.   

Fortunately for us, we have a chance at education. The things that we learn can help us get a job. A next shot of life.

The class quietens, and the  guard begins to speak to the teacher in hush tones, blonde hair peeking under the black cap, blue eyes meeting mine.

Did he have news?

He is corresponding with the teacher for a couple of seconds. In a matter of minutes, I find myself walking beside him, eagerly waiting for the information he's about to divulge to me.