14.1

Chapter Fourteen

 There's so much light. I can't quite see anything because the world is just a blur of color. Someone is shining a beam in my eyes. A needle pricks my arm. An oxygen mask is slipped over my face.

I can hear voices, sirens. There's so much going on at once and I'm fading in and out.

"Don't try to talk, sweetie," one of the paramedics tells me. "We don't want to cause more damage to anything."

That sentence alone is utterly terrifying, even in my messed-up state.

"We're going to give you something to sedate you," I hear someone say. "It will only pinch a little."

I try to move, desperately searching for Joel in the chaos. From what I can see, I'm still in the ambulance, but none of the people in my line of sight are him.

"I need you to stay still," the EMT holding my arm orders, then looks at someone out of my field of vision. "You're the husband? I need you to calm her down."

The next thing I know, Joel is there, his eyes on me. "Vi, sweetheart, just breathe. You're okay, I promise."

I relax as another needle pierces my skin. Calmness washes over me and knocks me out cold.

***

The machine beside my bed wheezes with each rise and fall of my breath. In, out. Out, in. There's a cuff around my bicep, presumably to measure BP. With my eyes closed as I try to emerge from the lull of sleep, I take mental stock of what hurts, what's numb, and notice the weight of someone holding my hand.

My eyes open and I see Joel is asleep on the bed, his breath tickling my fingers as he exhales deeply. The drugs, whatever painkillers they've given me, are still clouding my head and vision, but I'm blinking through the haze in an attempt to focus.

My neck is still aching. I imagine it should probably hurt more, but that's what the drugs are for. I'm only mildly uncomfortable, and for that I'm grateful.

I look over at the electronic clock hanging on the wall next to the TV. It's nearly one in the morning. No wonder he's asleep.

I shift in my bed, staring up at the ceiling. My hand has fallen asleep under the weight of his, but I feel like I owe it to him to at least not wake him up. What I did today was inexcusable and naive. On top of that, I scared the hell out of him.

I remember everything up to him saying I was his wife, but the rest is a blur. He was so determined to be there that he lied. I'm having trouble wrapping my head around that.

My nurse comes in to check on me just minutes after I wake, and Joel stirs at the sound of her footsteps. He's still pretty sleepy for the next few minutes, and he says nothing for a while.

"That's one great husband you got there," she says to me. "Stayed with you every step of the way."

I don't have any visions as she touches me. My guess is she's probably been here quite a few times in the hours I've been out. It's nice not seeing her death, and I'm sure the relief is written all over my face.

After she's done, she leaves and closes the curtains on her way out to give us privacy.

I send Joel a quizzical look once she's out of earshot.

"I don't remember the proposal," I say, attempting to tease him with a raw voice. "Was it romantic?"

He nods, forcing a smile. "Oh yeah. Do you expect any less from me?"