2

Day 2- Dancing

               When my mother was a young adult, she was already a prima ballerina. By the age of twenty one, she was already getting lead roles in ballet shows, playing from Clara from the Nutcracker to Juliet of Romeo and Juliet.

               Before my parents died in a traumatic car accident when I was seven, she taught me how to do the basic steps of dancing. And when she died, I didn’t give up. Even though I didn’t have the money to go to dance lessons, I would train myself at home, working on my technique and flexibility.

               I stopped when I was twelve, just because I had given up hope.

               So when Lisa asked me earlier today what I’ve always wanted to be, I made the mistake by answering, ‘a dancer’.

               She wouldn’t tell me at first where she was driving me, but I knew immediately when I walked in, and faced the empty stage.

               “You’re going to dance today, just you.” Lisa smiled proudly, already dragging me down the aisle to get up the stage.

               My eyes widened, as I shook my head. “You’re not making me go up there. I haven’t danced in four years!”

               Lisa chuckled. “Well, it’s never too late to start again, yeah?”

               She gave me one big push, as I stumbled up on that stage. The bright lights shined down on me, making it hard for me to spot Lisa on the crowd below. I squinted, raising a hand over my eyes. “Lisa, I don’t think this is a good idea.” I said.

               “Come on! Just take off your shoes, and twirl around.” Lisa encouraged, making me cross my arms.

               “Let’s just go somewhere else, yeah?” I suggested, as I began to walk down the stairs.

               Before I could, Lisa stopped me, as she hopped on the stage herself. She pressed a button on the remote she had on her hand. Immediately, a song began to play from the speakers. The song was had a nice rhythm to it, and it was definitely lyrical.

               “If you don’t dance anytime soon, I’ll make you.” Lisa warned, taking her hand in mine.

               I pursed my lips, as she led me to the middle of the stage.

               “Now, I don’t know much about dancing. But, just follow my lead, okay?” Lisa said.

               I hesitantly nodded, feeling a familiar feeling in my stomach. Lisa placed two hands by my waist, as I slowly placed my hands around her neck.

               Needless to say, Lisa was a horrible dancer. Too many times, she stepped on my foot. I stared up to her eyes, as they sparkled down on my dull ones. Her eyes ignited with something that I haven’t seen in so long, hope.

Soon, I began to lose myself to the music. I don’t know when Lisa started to let go, but she did. I let myself go as I did multiple turns, something I’ve been practicing for years. As I leapt across that stage with such graceful movement, I saw my mother standing by the stage, watching me with tears in her eyes, tears of joy.

I only realized that I was dancing a solo when the music ended, and I found Lisa standing below stage, smiling up at me.

               “That was amazing.” She finally said, making me let out a deep breath of air.

               “That felt so good.” I whispered under my breath, but I knew Lisa could still hear me. “I felt like my mom was there with me.”

               “So dancing, it connects you with your mother?” she asked, as I came down the stage, wiping the sweat across my forehead.

               I licked my lips, as Lisa stared down at me. “I don’t know.” I muttered.

               Lisa gave me a small smile. “Just think about it, Jennie. If you performed as well as you did just now, you have a whole future ahead of you.”

               I laughed weakly. “But, I would never have enough money to get classes.”

               “Don’t give up on it, Jennie.” She patted my back. “Sometimes, it’s not about the money. It’s about talent. If you love dancing, don’t let go of it.”