He knelt in the small igloo he'd built when he was eight and visiting with his mother. She'd explored the town and told him to stay on the ship with his Aunt Shi, he said, but he'd snuck away and run out into the cold.

"I wanted to make something so I could remember him when I was lonely", he'd said. "And especially on today. It's grown into a place I visit every year, I sit down and write a letter to him. Then I lock it in the box I made, the key is the beads on the necklace. You have to press them in just right for it to work." He touched the necklace that was always around his neck.

Now he was inside and writing. I'd stayed outside, and packed a small seat for myself in one of the nearby dunes. Still shivering, I waited for my prince to come out. As I did, I thought of my strange dream.

We didn't do anything like that yet, I wasn't ready and I don't think he was either. But I still had to wonder if it was some foreshadowing, if I'd really have a son that was a Fire Nation royal someday. I smiled at the thought. Zari would be an excellent father, kind but firm. I could only hope that I wouldn't be the mother that I had growing up. I wanted to allow my children more freedom to be themselves, of course, but less freedom to go as bad as I had gotten. I mean, really, I joined a gang when I was 12. That's ridiculous.

"Hey," Zari said, snapping me out of my thoughts. "I'm ready."

"Okay," I said. Zari seemed a lot more at peace now. I'd heard him cry and there and had fought the vicious monster on the inside that wanted to run in there and hug him until he felt better, and he looked better for it. He was smiling now - a small smile, hardly there - but it was better than a frown.

"We need to go back to the village," Zari said.

"Yeah, gotta get my boots back," I said. "Though I may want a pair of these. They're comfy."

"Oh." he looked down at my feet. "Forgot about that. Actually, I was just about to suggest we visit your father."

"Huh. Why not?" I asked with a shrug. I mean, I didn't mind visiting my dad, but I thought this was going to be more of a Zari day.

"Good." he linked his arm with mine.

After returning the boots, Zari carried me to my father's igloo on the other side of the village. I leapt out of his arms to run inside, calling, "Your favorite Earthbender has arrived!"

Dad turned around to face me. "Su!" he said, giving me a hug. He shook hands with Zari, then said, "You know I can chose between your sister, mother, and you."

"But you know it's me," I joked. He laughed.

"How are you doing, Zari?" He asked after a pause. I guess he knew today was the anniversarry.

"Well enough." He glanced over to me. "Su's helping that a bit."

He seemed genuine. I smiled - I haven't known what to say or do all day, but I was helping somehow, so I guess I wasn't the bad girlfriend I thought I was.

"Hey, dad," I asked, "Is Aunt Katara here yet?"

"No, she should arrive in a few days."

"Got it," I said.

"Why, did you want to tell her something? I could carry a message if you want."

"Nah, just wondering. The more the merrier, ya know?"

"Not if it's my sister."

"Aw, come on, she was the most powerful bender in her generation! Except the Avatar."

"And my mother," Zari cut in.

"Yes, Blue Girl was scary." Azula hates that nickname.

"Hey, Su, could you do me a favor? I think I left my necklace in the little igloo I made."

"Of course. I'll be right back." Ignoring how cold I was, I ran back to the igloo. I made it there in double time, and slid into the small structure. I didn't want Zari to be upset because he didn't have it.

The necklace wasn't there.

There was a small table, papers, and some ink, and a trunk. The necklace wasn't on the table or trunk, under the table, inside at all. As I turned around, I saw a note that Zari had stuck in his ice structure with a icicle:

Thanks for the help, Su, but I've got it. I also have a surprise... see you on the ship =)

I tore the note off and grinned. "Idiot, freaking me out like that," I said. Once again ignoring the cold, I sprinted back to the ship he'd built.