Arc 1 : Babysitting (十)

"What is it? Nine years have gone and you can't recognize this old man now?"

"You..."

Lin Jia Qian bent down from his wheelchair to pick up the knife. The emblem carving on the handle seemed familiar. He smiled. He noticed the assailant was regaining his consciousness so he simply threw the knife on him. Claiming his life out of it.

"Do you have a grudge with someone? Why is there an assassin after you?"

"Don't know. Maybe they just love me too much to let me be."

"They?" It's not the first time? Just how many enemies does he have?

The manor's guards arrived. They cleared away the corpse as if they were used to it. Mo Ran glanced at the dead assailant before turning to follow Lin Jia Qian who left towards the room.

"Mo Ran, help me up, will you?" He asked.

"Where do you want to go?"

"The bathtub. It's been a while since I took a bath. I sent Ah Qiang on an errand so he won't be here for days. The other servants are too clumsy so I won't let them into my room. In case they broke my vase over there. Help me wash up alright?"

His facial hair was so disturbing in Mo Ran's sight. He nodded and obediently helped Lin Jia Qian to walk over to the tub. They moved step by step, slowly at Lin Jia Qian's pace due to his disability. Lin Jia Qian half-stripped himself and entered the water.

"The water's warm. Get in. I'm sure you haven't washed since ages."

"I-" Water splashed onto his clothes without a notice. Mo Ran was stunned. Lin Jia Qian smirked at his expression.

"No excuses, right? And there's plenty of space in here." He patted on the water surface, splattering droplets of water out of the tub. Mo Ran sighed and started stripping out of his armor.

"Fine."

Mo Ran slowly stepped into the tub. With his heavyweight, half of the water-filled was splashed out of the tub. He was speechless at how Lin Jia Qian was laughing it out.

He had never laughed and smiled so much in previous days. What's wrong with him?

There were so many questions he wanted to ask but was stuck to his throat he couldn't say a word.

"It's still hard to believe. Our little Mo Ran has grown up to be so handsome and he has become a General too. I've lived up well these few years." A few more days to go till Mo Ran receive his official title and the portal will soon be open.

"Don't say it like you'll be going anywhere when I've just returned from the battlefield. I won't allow it."

"Princess Meng Yue was married to another prince from the neighbouring  country three years ago. Don't you feel disappointed?"

"No. Why should I? I've never thought of marrying her."

Lin Jia Qian pouted. His cheeks puffed up like a blowfish. This Mo Ran... How he wished he could return to the time when Mo Ran was a cute young child, so lovable then. He cupped some water and poured it onto Mo Ran's hair. He was leaning so close to him, Mo Ran could see every droplet of water on him, the flickering lashes and every movement of his were slowing down in his eyes. He reached out to him and grasped onto his arm, pulling Lin Jia Qian to a hug. He hugged him tight on the back with his face hidden in his neck.

"I've missed you."

The hot breath on his neck was tingling him. Lin Jia Qian patted on Mo Ran's head, slightly shifting away to sit comfortably as there was something poking to his thigh when Mo Ran was latching himself to him like a child.