Arc 2 : One Face, Two Identities (三)

Creating a scene where Feng Xian Ce would save the poor Jin family and becoming the heroes of the day by stepping up their prideful medical knowledge was what they planned, but Mo Ran's appearance was not included in their planning.

Their knees went soft at the sight of the fearsome General in the room.

"Ge-general! What brought you here?"

"What...do you think?" He pointed downwards at the broken pot on the ground. Looking down at the pot, then back up to see the stern expression on Mo Ran's face, the Feng family's father and son exchanged looks and altering their plan instead.

"General Mo, this is a misunderstanding. Jin family is trying to frame us into being a murderer. This is their scheme!"

"Jin family...?"

"Yes, General."

Mo Ran left his seat in no hurry. Standing up tall to stare down on them was a way to intimidate them with his fierceness.

"Jin family doesn't even know about this pot of tea. Neither have I, ever mentioned anything about this tea been poisoned. So Physician Feng, do you think this General is looking stupid in your eyes?"

"Ge-general, please! We are just playing around! Seriously! I am very confident in my skills, and I wasn't trying to cause any deaths...! And definitely not Jin Fu Ren and her son."

The father and son kneeled on their knees, pleading for his mercy.

"There is no death today, but there's still tomorrow. How can this General be sure that you will not try it again?"

"We'll swear on it with our lives."

Mo Ran pulled out a piece of paper. Placing it down on the table.

"Your lives don't even worth a penny in my eyes. Write down on this. If your Feng family ever tries to harm a single hair on any of the Jin family members, eighty percent of your inheritance and possessions shall be given to the Jin family as compensation. With this, perhaps I will let you off for this once."

He was reluctant to write, but the Emperor trusted General Mo as much as he trusted the Crown Prince. Treating him like a close subordinate and letting him do his investigation as he wished within the Capital City. Feng Xian Ce had no other choice but to do as he said.

"You may leave now."

"Yes, General Mo..."

He gave a death glare to his back when they moved to leave.

General Mo, I will get you for this!

They left peacefully. Mo Ran placed down the cup in his hand and collected the paper into his sleeve. Done with what he was supposed to do, he got up and made his return to his office in the barracks. The magistrate was already waiting for him there.

"Get Master Jin and his wife to the magistrate's court. Reinvestigate the case. I've found a few of the pieces of evidence still worth the reinvestigation."

"Understood." The magistrate made his leave as Mo Ran kept himself busy with his reading.

Several hours after, the servants were pacing around the manor. They were worried as it was already the next morning, yet their Master and Fu Ren had yet to return. Evidently, they had passed the night in the magistrate's court.

"What do we do now? Master Jin and Fu Ren haven't returned and First young master Sheng has already returned to his army camp outside the City."

"Second young master! Right, let's just go to our second young master Xiao."