xxvi. navy raincoat

➵

"LOOK FOR IMPERIAL PANDA AND Kaufman Shoes," It's hard to exactly make out what Robin was trying to explain, her voice shy against the wild thunderstorm that blubbered over them, and Claudia wasn't lucky because the older girl had been kneeling down on the other end of the line. And so she squinted her eyes down at the group of delivery workers like a hawk throughout a desert day; her eyesight was terrible. What doesn't help is that the unnecessary receivement of raindrops that fell down onto her eyelashes made it hard to keep her eyes open, and Steve's spare navy rain jacket (the sleeves literally overcovered more than her hands, and it stopped at her thighs) didn't have a hoodie to cover her head. So, yeah. It was a pretty shitty rain jacket. But it was Nike and if she had dared to speak foul mouth of Nike, Steve would've killed the living daylights out of her.

Narrow eyes and scrunched up face, Claudia just barely noticed the same kinds of stupid delivery logos on the guards' costumes - so Steve was nice enough to hover his right hand over his sister's head like a roof so at least Claudia, too, wouldn't have to suffer all the rain going into her eyes - and it was only until Dustin, who had the biggest advantage out of all of them; the binoculars, called out, "They're with that whistling guy, ten o'clock!" did Claudia finally dart her attention to the man.

Boxes stacked on one another with the same Imperial Panda logo written on it, the Runaway intently stared as the unfamiliar stranger steered the number of cardboard boxes out into the open, "What do you think is in there?" Steve shouted over the bellowing pitter-patter that came from the Heaven's above.

"Guns? Bombs?" Dustin suggested beside Claudia, fastening his grip on the binoculars.

"Chemical Weapons?" Robin added.

Claudia tucked a drenched strand of dark brown hair behind her ear, her whole entire hair that was once dolled up in its half up-half down hairstyle now was completely destroyed, and she cursed underneath her breath because she just remembered that her red scrunchie totally would be ruined now from the rain, "Wouldn't be surprised if it was spiked drugs for the food, ya know...GHB." It wasn't meant to be a joke, but the brunette being nervous and scared only made her just let out a little chuckle.

Her curly-headed best friend stifled a bit of a nervous laugh too, "Well, whatever it is, they're armed to the teeth," He answered clearly, everyone's attention staring right down at the heavily weaponed guards with expressionless faces and statue postures.

The thunder clapped in Claudia's ear and she couldn't stop herself from her body that jolted and jumped, "Oh great, that's great!" She replied, sarcasm dripping off her tongue and she wasn't too sure whether she'd been directing her response to the thunder or Dustin. But her body shuffled a little closer to Dustin, just for the safety and warmth of another presence since Steve, by now, had pulled his hand away.

Just four curious teenagers wanting to have fun. But it didn't seem that fun anymore, and more of a worry. So the more that they lingered their gazes on the fiasco down below, the more secrets unravelled right then and there. Shivering, teeth clattering, the rain saddened Indiana's once happy sunshine and Claudia already missed the humidity that spun around the air.

It was only when they saw that a guard had opened a mysterious door with a keycard and the man - that held all the Imperial Panda boxes - started to steer in and through the room did they, all of a sudden, perk up, "Hey! What's in there?" Robin started off first, pointing at the exposed small room with surprise chilling through her throat.

"It's just more boxes," The younger boy answered.

Steve raised out his arm to his right, making Claudia jerk her head back from the unexpected arm reach as he tried his best to take grasp of the binoculars that Dustin had been hogging, "Let me check it out,"

Dustin yanked the binoculars back, "No, I'm still looking,"

Steve pulled on the binoculars, "Lemme see it!"

Dustin pulled them back, "Hang on!"

And of course, something was to happen, of course.

With the force of two boys wanting to keep hold of the magnified goggles, obviously the object had hit hard against the metal wall - not even a metre high - and created chaos to happen, the thud of the binoculars rang through her eardrums louder than the thunder and Claudia could only squeak out a yelp from the action happening in front of her. And because such a loud noise was created by the two stupid friends, they all froze in their positions like they were the statues now.

Because the guards came to life.

Her stomach dropped faster than the rain and her heart beat louder than the thunder, Claudia gasped and widened her eyes at the sight that the guards definitely knew they were here, and they had to do something about it. They were all quick to hide when Dustin quickly peaked out a 'Duck!' and they dug themselves together close beneath the small wall. Claudia felt the rain soaking in through the jacket when she had her back resting on the cold cement, and she was squashed too tightly from Steve and Dustin that she couldn't be bothered to move.

Thunder rumbled and rain cried, the young girl didn't notice the hand holding from her two employees, but she did notice the change of nerves hitting the air around them, and Claudia felt this uneasiness before - never when, but it's an old friend of intuition - so her first instinct is to get out of here.

And what comes up, must come down.

That's exactly what Claudia does.

"Clauds, what the fu- get back here, you're gonna get us killed!" Dustin hissed when his heavy eyes watched his best friend start to stealthily crawl away, heading straight to the door that they used to get themselves stuck up in here in the first place. Her limbs aching a little from the discomfort but it was better than being found and shot dead

The said girl tilted her head - her hair whipped along with it - partially around to take notes of everyone's facial expressions, confused and worried, and she shook her head, "Not if we get down from here," It's a simple answer, and it didn't take much encouragement and second-guessing before everyone else followed on too. Because by now the Russians should know that they're here; the bang of the binoculars was enough to bring an upholding risk to the group of friends. And it's guaranteed a death wish to just stay there and hide, there's not a lot of hiding spots around up on the roofs of buildings anyway.

Claudia Parker was right, the guards did look exactly at their hiding spot.

What a shame for them that they were too slow.

/////

hi this chapter was quiet but i kinda wanted to tie this storyline up with season three just so you know exactly which episode we're up to if this book was in the stranger things series.

and if you're confused, basically this scene happens near the end of season three, episode three.

so yeeee

okay, feedback pls, i know not many people comment but it still means a lot. love u x

- indiana